New 125 gallon Oscar build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cichlid.greenhorn said:
Just bought a 125 gallon tank last night. Hope to start setting up soon for 2-3 oscars and a pleco. Have 2 emperor 400's and a fluval 306 for filtration. Got the tank, glass tops, stand, light and the emperors all for 200$. So I think just be needing substrate and a heater? Was thinking sand? Maybe? also have a 55 with guppies breeding for feeders. Any thoughts or advice before I get started? This is the first time I have stocked oscars. Thanks for the opinions and advice to all.

U got a good deal. I love my 2 oscars. So much fun

Phranque said:
Agreed.... stay away from live feeders. There are good quality pellets that are much more nutritious for fish.

As far as tank mates.... if it were mine, I'd probably be looking at a Jack Dempsey, some Silver Dollars, a Black Ghost Knife and a Royal Pleco..... Mog's right, Common Pleco's get way too big. Even a Royal can get upwards of 14", but will do OK in a 6ft tank, just provide a couple good sized pieces of driftwood for them.

I give my oscars live feeders once a mth. They love them. When they see me getting my net out they go crazy!!!

A 55g with guppies couldn't produce enough any ways. I want to use feeders 1-2 a month, I feel like if you take away their natural diet, kinda mean. I understand high quality pellets are great but would u eat processed hot dogs everyday for the rest of your life?

Decided to stock:

1 tiger Oscar
1 Texas cichlid
1 bgn

And some other smaller fish, yet to decide.

Dude get some jack Dempsey... Electric blue jack dempsey.... Texas cichlids.... Oscars are the pigs of the cichlid world

love my texas... he has so much personality. i didn't know bgn could live with oscars and texas cichlids....

Well I saw some on you tube that did. Thought it would be neat but I have since researched and think I will wait on bgk. Will you post a pic of your Texas?

sure he's hiding in his cave so i could only get his tail but ill try to get his face later. I'm so excited I'm getting him an upgrade.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 440
I would stay away completely from any live foods. Feeding live fish raised by ourself or anyone is asking for diseases with oscars. It makes their waste "dirtier" which will lead to crappy water parameters which will cause hole in head if you aren't on top of water changes religiously. I only feed my pair hikari pellets. They are the best IMO. The important thing is water changes with oscars. That could never be stressed enough. They are the goldfish of cichild world.

I know I'm chiming in a little late but I would do the 1 tiger oscar, a sailfin pleco, and like 6-8 silver dollars instead.

Update:
Tank finished, kinda

Stock so far
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Red Devil
1 Texas
4 Tinfoil Barb
1 Common Pleco

Gonna remove the tinfoils later when the cichlids get bigger. Have large driftwood pieces and rock caves. Had java fern & swords but someone ate the swords so now just java fern.

Back
Top Bottom