New 36 Gallon Fish Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BassSoLow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All!

I'm starting a new 36 gallon tank. It's all set up and ready for some fish to get the cycling underway.

Just wondering what fish you all recommend for cycling.

It's a freshwater 36 gallon bow from tank with an Emperor 400 filter.

Looking to have a nice selection of active fish.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

You could always go the fishless cycle route. It's more humane and doesn't harm your fish's gills. It doesn't require a hardy fish but it does take a lot of patience.

If you do go the fish-in route. There is a wide selection of fish that are more hardy and can take varying water levels. There isn't a fish out there that won't suffer some damage from fish-in cycling.

So all in all, I'd suggest a fishless cycle.

Here's a link to a guide that a lot of members here use for fishless cycling:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

If you want to do it with fish, try with zebra danios. There was one video youtube of a guy who cycled his tank with one, and it was still thriving a few years later.

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello All!

I'm starting a new 36 gallon tank. It's all set up and ready for some fish to get the cycling underway.

Just wondering what fish you all recommend for cycling.

It's a freshwater 36 gallon bow from tank with an Emperor 400 filter.

Looking to have a nice selection of active fish.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hello Bass...

The key to cycling a tank with fish is to get a hardy species that don't mind living temporarily in water that's not pure. There are several: I used female Guppies because they'll have no trouble surviving the nitrogen cycle and you get fry at the end. Rasboras, White Clouds, Zebra Danios, and Platys are also good choices. Provided you carefully follow the protocol for cycling the tank with fish, the fish will be fine. Don't forget to add some good floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort.

B

Start with just a few. And wait a couple of weeks before you add more. You will also have to monitor water parameters closely and change water when ammonia exceeds 0.25ppm.

It is also extremely important not to overfeed during this stage and skip a day feeding every few days.

If I go with Danios I read to get them in a set of 5...would that be sufficient or too many for the cycle?

If you read that somewhere then would be the minimum amount. I know danios are very active fish and some will say 36 gallon isn't enough for them. Their bioload will probably be more than that of say harlequin rasbora so another thing to consider. Even if you wanted to add 5. I would add 3 then the next 2 in another week or so. If you put too many fish in at once during the cycle you could seriously harm the fish or even kill them. Same goes for overfeeding.

Fish In Tank Cycling

How many fish should I start with?

Hello again Bass...

I started with 8 female Guppies in a 30 gallon. The same number will do for your 36. Before getting the fish, I would get the floating plants in and give them a few days to get used to the tank conditions. Anacharis is my first choice. The more plants in the tank, the better. Then, select the females with good color, good body weight, active in the tank, clear eyes, good skin, no blemishes. Selecting a healthy fish is 80 percent of the process.

Once the fish are in, you must test the water daily for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a trace, you must remove and replace 25 to 30 percent of the tank water, but no more. The water change will get the water chemistry back into the safe zone for the fish and leave some of these forms of nitrogen for the growing bacteria. Test daily and change the water if needed, no slacking.

Feeding should be minimal. I fed no more than a little bit every 3 to 4 days. You don't want uneaten food contributing to the nitrogen levels. Adult aquarium fish can easily go a week or more without food. If the fish get a little hungry, they'll nibble on the plants.

The process will take a good month.

B

Good luck with the tank! I would do a mixed variety of levels.. I would choose fish that swim on the bottom, middle, and top! You get a lot more action with a variety of fish!! Hope this helps

Okay, just back from my local fish shop.

I was directed towards the Danios. Ended up with 4 blue fin danios.

Great!!!!!!!!!!! They are awesome fish! Good luck by the way! Having fish at different levels makes the tank look bigger in a way and more space is used!

Okay, just back from my local fish shop.

I was directed towards the Danios. Ended up with 4 blue fin danios.

By your name I assume you are a fellow "low end-er"...I would suggest getting an API freshwater master test kit, an invaluable tool. Check Amazon for the better pricing. Its all about accurate testing and Water changes now.........

By your name I assume you are a fellow "low end-er"...I would suggest getting an API freshwater master test kit, an invaluable tool. Check Amazon for the better pricing. Its all about accurate testing and Water changes now.........

Indeed I am.

Thanks for the advise. I will test today.

You will need to get the API Master test kit as already suggested and as soon as you get it test ammonia and nitrites daily. Whenever you have over .25ppm of either ammonia or nitrites do a 50% WC to get them down. If they still aren't low enough after that then do another WC. You want to keep ammonia and nitrites under.25ppm to avoid ammonia and or nitrite poisoning. So until you get your test kit I would suggest doing a 25% WC daily to keep levels safe for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom