New 40g Long need help with fishless cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flash081

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read through eco's guide and am ready to get going I've just run into a snag.

I have everything all set up to start but when I put some ammo in (about a lid full) the strips that I have are all coming out a grey color?

Does that mean I've put too much in?

You mention eco's name...and eco shows up! Haha

You've really got to get a quality liquid test kit like an API Master Kit in order to get accurate results.

With strips...you might as well guess what the levels are unfortunately.

What brand is the ammo?

I've read through eco's guide and am ready to get going I've just run into a snag.

I have everything all set up to start but when I put some ammo in (about a lid full) the strips that I have are all coming out a grey color?

Does that mean I've put too much in?

Ah ... don't let Eco23 find out you're using test strips! They're practically junk ... very unreliable. Get the API test master test kit so you'll have the most accurate results possible.

Ah ... don't let Eco23 find out you're using test strips! They're practically junk ... very unreliable. Get the API test master test kit so you'll have the most accurate results possible.

Never mind ... too late Eco's found you!:ROFLMAO:

haha I'll get an API test kit tomorrow.
It's Majestic extra strength ammonia.
Doesn't have anything listed besides ammonia on the label anywhere.

Flash081 said:
haha I'll get an API test kit tomorrow.
It's Majestic extra strength ammonia.
Doesn't have anything listed besides ammonia on the label anywhere.

Gold deal :). The brand you have is good to go...I've seen other members use it with success. Unfortunately I'm not sure of it's strength...so the API kit is what you'll definitely need.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask absolutely any questions you have...good luck! :)

Fish-less Cycle Log:
Day 2: 2:40 pm
-pH:Right about 8.0 Normal tap: 7.6
-Ammonia: I'd say about 4.0
-Nitrite: 2.0-5.0 that shade is almost discernible to me. I'd guess closer to 5 though
-Nitrate: 0-5.0 closer to around 2.0.
You guys didn't tell me these shades would be so hard to match :mad:

Why are my Nitrites already so high with just about no ammonia gone?Also, is it normal for my pH to rise like that. I have a medium sized plastic log from an established tank, a few live plants, and some small plastic plants from an established tank as well if that's relevant information.

I think I'll let it sit and test it tomorrow to see if anything changes.

Yes Eco, I used a medium sized plastic log and a few plastic plants.
I did check the pH from the tap but I didn't test the Nitrites from the tap.

Wow, that is sudden unless you were using a ton of seeded media.

Did you by chance add water from an established tank?

I mean, I won't complain...but that would be mind numbingly fast for things to get moving. I think there's some other explanation.

No I didn't use any established water.
I have live plants as well if that matters?
though they seem to not being doing very well =/

I'd check the tap water out of curiosity, but I'd be shocked if you had levels that high coming from your water supply.

Hmmm....curious. Well, there's no point in arguing with progress, haha. Maybe the fish gods just gave you a head start :). We'll see what it does over the next few days.

Haha I know I looked like this when I tested 0.0
However, it is normal for my pH to go up by .4 and to have all those Nitrites without my ammonia falling?

Day 3:
pH:7.8
Ammonia: 1.5-2.0
Nitrite: 5+
Nitrate: 0-5.0

Do I dose back up to 4ppm or should I wait for the ammonia to fall to around 1 before i dose back up with my nitrites that high

Oh, Eco, I had forgotten when you asked me but I also have an established filter that I'm using as well. That may be the cause.

Back
Top Bottom