new 45 gal hex tank need stock opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogansMomma

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought a 45 gal oceanic hex tank on an impulse buy at a great deal.... Thinking of wanting to do a Malawi tank. Is that too small? What are some good stocking options? I wanted some good colors and not sure on how many to stock. I know I want some peacocks and maybe some yellow labs idk.

We are resealing and cleaning up the tank now... It was a mess! :)

I will defer to others of the logistics of Africans in a Hex but I have a 35 Gallon Hex with my Bolivian Rams but I think I would have rather had put them in a 55 gallon. Easier to look at and keep track of....

angels are good, any slow moving fish. You know it is a 65 gallon right? that is 27 inches cross so some Dwarfs Cichlids should be ok. Kribs, Rams might be good. Kribs and GBR's have great color. Honestly it is still up to what you want. I have Bolivian Rams some Tetras and Tiger Barbs. Not a great mix but I had the Barbs already and it is working out.

Actually it's a 45. Dimensions are 25 w corner to corner 22 d front to back and 23.5 h. ...it's an old tank about 30 years old. Made by oceanic. My 90 is the same. Good solid tanks. The 45 needed some resealing and a little elbow grease but looks great and am on day two of cycling. I was looking into some lake Malawi cichlids that only get about 3.9 inches and stocking about five. Was wanting to get either some dogtooth cichlids, rusty/ lavender cichlids, yellow tail acei, electric blue johanni, or dwarf mbunas. Also thinking of throwging my bristlenose pleco in also. I lose him in my 90 and never get to see him. Is that to much? Right now I'm trying to build the tank to provide plenty of hiding spots.

Back
Top Bottom