New 5.5-Gallon Tank filter heater and fish ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lsmithers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a new 5.5 gallon tank last night. It came with a hood and filter. The hood is fine, but I'm sure the filter stinks. It is a top fin 10 and I completely expect to change it out. My main question is what kind should I get? I also need to know what size heater will be enough? I am going to do a few plants, so I will be getting a compact fluorescent. I will be doing a fishless cycle, but after that I will need some fish ideas. My wife wants a few shrimp, maybe a snail or some of the small varieties of corydoras. We also want a few small colorful fish that will work well with the shrimp. Maybe some that will keep the population manageable.

I use that filter in my 5.5 and it does pretty good! Better than I had thought. And I just got a tetra 5-15 gallon heater and i have low lights:) congrats on your new tank:)

Scarlet badis help keep the shrimp population manageable and are very colorful
Also ember tetras, boras briggate, and celestial pearl danios
The danios and rasboras are the most colorful
You could do shrimp, a scarlet badis, and 5 celestial pearl danios with 5 dwarf cories

emerald76 said:
Scarlet badis help keep the shrimp population manageable and are very colorful
Also ember tetras, boras briggate, and celestial pearl danios
The danios and rasboras are the most colorful
You could do shrimp, a scarlet badis, and 5 celestial pearl danios with 5 dwarf cories

If your tank is heavily planted ;)

I will keep that in mind as I am laying out my tank. I'm not sure how many live plants I will be doing. I will definitely be getting a light for plants and at least some java ferns, but I haven't done enough research into plants to know yet. I will before I finish cycling.

What is the best substrate for a few plants and small corydoras?

Cores prefer a soft substrate such as sand. I don't know how 'soft' the Eco-compleat plant stuff is. Eitherway, a 5 pound bag of either will give you plenty of depth for plants. Is your tank the standard rectangle or a bow front? I had a bow front 5 gallon ant it seemed to have more room than a standard.

It is a 16x9x10 5.5 gallon rectangle. I am thinking about some Christmas moss in the front on rocks or driftwood, then java fern on higher rocks in the middle, and some taller plants in the back.

Back
Top Bottom