New 55 Gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw an ad in the newspaper the other day for a 55 gal Aquarium w/ stand hood and lights. I called and she called me back the next day. So I said 'd be by to pick it up. I went and got it. The stand was brand new and the tank was kinda ratty, but looks okay now that I've cleaned it. She found a empty power filter box, which had no pump, so it was usless. I paid the woman 75 bucks! I definatly got a good deal. Petco was having a sale for just a tank with nothing else for $150.

So I got home and set it up on a small bare wall in my basement (Its finished, its kinda like a rec/media room now) and filled it with water with the hose thru the basement window. It was almost filled up when the hose came out of the tank and got water on the wall and the rug! So after it was all filled, I put the heater to raise the temp (It was 64 degrees!)

I had to move it around to put the cover on the tank, big mistake. I took it out and put it back in. The heater cracks and makes a huge puff of smoke. I ran to the other side of te room I was so scared. The lights were out, so we went to get new ones. I got home and put them in. Turns out the light is a little broken, so you need to move it around every time you turn it on.

My Questions (Finally!):

What is the minimum temperature I should have the tank to put fish in, its at 75 now.

We put the tank to close to the wall. How the heck should I go about moving it to get the filter in (Probally going to be a power filter).

I'll add more if I think of them.

how warm is the room?
you need to wait 15 minutes before turning on the heater and unplug it for fifteen minutes before you take it out of the water..
I would put the filter on the front of the tank until its time for the first pwc and do a big one before I tried moving it..
Your going to need to cycle the water before you put fish in it..
I have no idea if any of this helps... hope it helps anyway.. :mrgreen:

I keep my water at about 78....you're going to have to empty most of the tank of all the water before you can move it without risking damage to the tank or yourself!!

Andos99 said:
I keep my water at about 78....you're going to have to empty most of the tank of all the water before you can move it without risking damage to the tank or yourself!!

Agreed. You will probably want to fishless cycle first, and that will go a smidge more quickly at about 80ºF...you can dial it back down to 77º after the cycle is complete and you are ready to add fish.

Good deal, by the by....the stand alone is probably worth $100.

you could go for a canister filter so you can keep the tank by the wall, of course they are more expensive, but ive heard they are well worth the cash.

Canisters are well worth the expense. And since it's a 55 gal tank, you have many options.

I think I might go with a canister. I have a sponge filter in there now, its doing a good job, theres a TON of dirt on it. I have a few guppies in there after I cycled it with a lot of gravel and water from their old tank. I introduced them earlier today, and they're doing great. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom