New 55 gallon freshwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjr.10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I bought it used and have some of the decorations from the previous owner in there, along with some stuff from my parents aquarium. The tank has been set up and running for about a week now. I took the advice of the guy at Petco and got 2 dwarf gouramis. They are great. But now after reading on here I'm not sure I should have put them in yet! Before getting the fish from petco I brought my water in to get it tested and the lady said that we are ready for fish.. I don't know what any of the numbers were or anything. Anyway, I bought some test strips and will test the water and see what I come up with.. but I am wondering what I want to see? Also, how much should I be feeding my gouramis? The petco worker said once a day, but the container of food says 2-3 times a day. And when can I add more fish?? Oh, and where can I buy a "python" for cleaning my tank?

Sorry this got really long, this is my first post on here and I guess I had a lot on my mind :)

A completely cycled and fish-ready tank will read zero Ammonia, zero nitrItes, and preferably less that 10 nitrAtes. The cycling process can vary depending on the tank and conditions. However, I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a tank completely cycled from start to finish in 2 weeks. Did you borrow some media from your parents tanks?

A completely cycled and fish-ready tank will read zero Ammonia, zero nitrItes, and preferably less that 10 nitrAtes. The cycling process can vary depending on the tank and conditions. However, I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a tank completely cycled from start to finish in 2 weeks. Did you borrow some media from your parents tanks?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by media.. is that the filter part or just decorations? I got a few shells from them for my tank. I can get some of their gravel or something too if that would help the 2 gouramis if my tank is not completely cycled. They seem to be doing fine so far but I really don't want to be hurting them.

Back
Top Bottom