New 55g w/Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MorganAshleyInc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm completely new owning such a large tank.

I have a 55g (stock filter that came with it, says compatible up to 75g)

ONE Oscar about 7in.
ONE Plecko about 3in
3 tiny feeder fish
No plants

Readings as of 10/21 -
Ph 7.8
Ni 0.0
Nh 0.0
Am 1.0
Water Temp 80

Ammonia was high but was able to bring it down to better levels after the water change.

The tank has been up and running for exactly two weeks now. The water is a thick milky white and has been since day one. One week ago I did a 25% water change and it seemed to make it worse, you can't even see the back of the aquariam.

Furthermore the Oscar has barely eaten anything. He does move around the tank but ignores all food... floating pellets, sinking pellets, shrimp, feeder fish, whatever. I have only seen him eat once since we introduced him to the tank.

I know the tank is cycling but is what im experiencing normal and should I do a larger water change? Clean the filters? Or will this cycle out with time?

Also, someone suggested that I get ANOTHER filter and run the tank with two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to harm the fish or do anything unnecessary:banghead:

MorganAshleyInc said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm completely new owning such a large tank.

I have a 55g (stock filter that came with it, says compatible up to 75g)

ONE Oscar about 7in.
ONE Plecko about 3in
3 tiny feeder fish
No plants

Readings as of 10/21 -
Ph 7.8
Ni 0.0
Nh 0.0
Am 1.0
Water Temp 80

Ammonia was high but was able to bring it down to better levels after the water change.

The tank has been up and running for exactly two weeks now. The water is a thick milky white and has been since day one. One week ago I did a 25% water change and it seemed to make it worse, you can't even see the back of the aquariam.

Furthermore the Oscar has barely eaten anything. He does move around the tank but ignores all food... floating pellets, sinking pellets, shrimp, feeder fish, whatever. I have only seen him eat once since we introduced him to the tank.

I know the tank is cycling but is what im experiencing normal and should I do a larger water change? Clean the filters? Or will this cycle out with time?

Also, someone suggested that I get ANOTHER filter and run the tank with two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to harm the fish or do anything unnecessary:banghead:

The oscar has a large bioload and will get too big for that tank also pleco as well depending on which kind it is your ammonia level is to high you should do 50% water changes until its down to .25 do you plan to upgrade soon that oscar gets very large if not you should consider rehomeing the oscar

I think that you might be over feeding at the moment. At 7 inches, he should be able to take those small feeders.

1. How are his fins, tall or clamped down? That can give you an idea of how he is feeling. Up is good, down is bad.

With only 5 fish, I am not thinking that you are under filtered.

Hang on back filter? Water is not washing through bypass right, so your filter isn't full.

It never hurts to oxygenate more. Add a pump with air stones. That can help with Ammonia. I will follow this thread.

You might try dropping in a live cricket. Cichlids like bugs, and that might induce him to eat.

SRC <><

San Raphael Catfish said:
I think that you might be over feeding at the moment. At 7 inches, he should be able to take those small feeders.

1. How are his fins, tall or clamped down? That can give you an idea of how he is feeling. Up is good, down is bad.

With only 5 fish, I am not thinking that you are under filtered.

Hang on back filter? Water is not washing through bypass right, so your filter isn't full.

It never hurts to oxygenate more. Add a pump with air stones. That can help with Ammonia. I will follow this thread.

You might try dropping in a live cricket. Cichlids like bugs, and that might induce him to eat.

SRC <><

It may only be 5 fish but consider the bioload of the fish that are in the tank and the size each will get @ the OP did you use sand or gravel

55g w/ Oscar

Thank you all who responded with help!!

After I posted I came home from work and the tank was MUCH better with regards to the milky white water!! Most suggested I do a 50% water change but with the improvement I decided to do a 25% change and cleanned the gravel. My test results afterward (1.5hrs) were ..
AM 4.0 (Which I added AmmoStop)
PH 8.2
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 0.0
Water Temp 80

Most of you asked what filter i'm running which is a Aqueon75 (came with the tank) and I added a Tetra Whisper20 which I had extra because everyone said it definately wouldn't hurt.

The Oscar seems much more active since the water change. He still won't eat the pellets, shrimp but is chasing the feeder fish around quite often.

I plan on doing another water test this evening because the AmmoStop says it will still test positive although the AM is neautralizied

Any other suggestions would be appreciated !!

And what does everyone think about a canister filter??? Fauvil 306??

Hi. Another large water change is in order, 4ppm is a scary high amount that will easily result in ammonia burns. The ammonia neutralizer (ammostop) does neutralize these effects but only temporarily. I've not used this particular brand, but if it works like the rest of them, it only detoxifies ammonia for about a 24 hour period.

In other words, it can be used as a bandaid, but the core problem is still there. Because of the size of the bioload, after getting the toxin levels near 0, I would recommend large daily water changes (50%+) to maintain a low level. During this time you could also dose with Prime or another ammonia neutralizer to help keep the water safe in between water changes.

jetajockey said:
Hi. Another large water change is in order, 4ppm is a scary high amount that will easily result in ammonia burns. The ammonia neutralizer (ammostop) does neutralize these effects but only temporarily. I've not used this particular brand, but if it works like the rest of them, it only detoxifies ammonia for about a 24 hour period.

In other words, it can be used as a bandaid, but the core problem is still there. Because of the size of the bioload, after getting the toxin levels near 0, I would recommend large daily water changes (50%+) to maintain a low level. During this time you could also dose with Prime or another ammonia neutralizer to help keep the water safe in between water changes.

+1 great advice

The fluval 306 is a good canister filter should be able to handle the bioload in your tank with out much issue just leave your current filters on the tank while the canister builds up enough BB to fully take over should take about 2 - 3 weeks.
I had 2 Tiger Oscars in a 30g tank years ago both were well over 10 inches long and although they were healthy I had to re-home them since my tank was way too small for them but I had them since they were less then an inch long. But as was stated there bio load is massive I had to do water changes every 2 - 3 days until I got my Fluval 305 then I got away with once a week.

I doubt those feeders will last the week with the Oscar just have to get your ammonia in check, just stay on top of your parameters.

Update

O.K.

Thank you all for your help!

On a good note the Oscar finally started eating!! Whoever suggested the crickets thank you for an excellent idea! He's gobbleing them up like candy and also took care of the feeder fish that were left!

I did a 50% water change and my readings were
PH - 8.2
AM - 4.0 (used AmmoStop again)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 1.0
Temp - 82.2

I don't understand why my AM is so high!! I'm using dechlorinator when performing the water change and following the directions. Added a second filter. I'm testing twice to confirm readings (no test strips). And only two fish in the tank ... the Oscar & Plecko (tiny plecko)

Should I perform another 50% water change? I'm new at this and getting some confusing advice ... Someone mentioned changing the filters ... they've only been in there for two weeks. If so should i change them completely or rinse them off? It was also mentioned (not on this site) to just let the cycle complete and the filters will take care of the AM over time.

Thanks again:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
The short answer to why your ammonia is so high is the fish. It's the fish. Oscars are large and as a result, create a lot of ammonia. And yes definitely do water changes as much and as often as you can. I would be doing them daily to keep that ammonia level as low as possible. And do not rinse or replace your filter media if you can help it, it just disturbs the bacteria being grown.

Am I the only one who caught the "tanks been up and running for two weeks"

It's not even cycled. And trying a "Fish in" cycle with a bio load of this one, not to mention being severely under filtered... It's not a bit of a surprise the ammo is do high. There is nothing to help lower it outside of WC's.

Keep up on your water changes and add another larger filter. Something bigger then what's on it curently because them starter kit filters are junk. And you will be fine until the fish teaches the 10" mark. And you will be fine. After the 10" mark he would need to be rehomed if you can't upgrade. But worry about that when that time comes.

Agreed. Starter filter are never enough. My 55 came with a 30-60 gallon filter, I bought a second right away. But only became happy with my filtration when I bought a canister filter. The amount of filter media in a canister can be measured in pounds, not grams.

SRC <><

Update

another update

And thank you all for reading and helping!!

Last Monday did 50% change ... Am was still at 4.0
Wednesday did a 60% change ... AM was still at 4.0 (vac gravel real good)

Water was cloudy but had been lightening up a bit. Oscar is eating crickets like popcorn (Thanks San Raphael) as well as the feeder fish.

I told the lady at the fish store and the lady said that because im using the AmmoLock it is locking the setting in the water until the filters can get rid of it. She also mentioned that with that high level for so long the fish should probably be dead by now or I would have noticed burn marks around his gills, etc ... which I have not. So essentially I'm getting a false reading from the AmmoLock
Later that evening I took a water sample up to be tested and the night shift lady practically freaked out at my AM levels! I explained everything and she still insisted on a 90% water change
So who do I believe???
Anyways ... I said screw it and did 100% on Saturday... only adding the dechlorinator to the water. I also added an Ammonia reducing filter (Acurel Ammonia reducing pad).

So far my AM is between .5 & 1.0 and the water is pretty clear so far.
I also have a Fluval 306 arriving this week so hopefully that will help

Back
Top Bottom