New 75 gallon Freshwater Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shickley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 75 gallon tank. It hasn't been cycled yet but while it is in the process, I'm trying to get an idea of what I should put in there once it's done. It will be planted, although I'm not sure how. I do have a co2 system so whatever plants I do put in will thrive. Any tank ideas?
Also I already have a 5.5 with RCS, a 20 with dwarf puffers, and a 29 with some platys that I'm trying to find a new home for, which I also am figuring out what to put in there.
Thanks

Soooo many options with a 75g...you could go large community, wet pet, biotope. Are there any particular fish you're interested, always wanted to keep?

Years ago I did a 75g wet pet with an oscar and sev, really enjoyed it at the time. At this point though I think I'd do a monster version of my 16g which is forktail rainbows, kuhlis, green neons, and peacock gudgeons.

I'm thinking maybe try to make a carpet of plants and have a ton of shrimp. What would be compatable? Also what are some big fish that would be fun for that size?

I'm thinking maybe try to make a carpet of plants and have a ton of shrimp. What would be compatable? Also what are some big fish that would be fun for that size?

My only concern with any larger fish is that even adult shrimp would turn into meals. Even heavily planted I've had sparkling gouramis and peacock gudgeons eat shrimp and I don't consider them big.

I really do like the idea of a carpet plus shrimp, don't get me wrong. It would probably be a better idea to a school or schools of smaller shrimp instead.

I have to agree with TeresaM

Big fish and shrimp just don't mix usually.

Like said, there's tons of nice options for a 75g...

Rainbowfish, Angels, tetras, danios, barbs, rasboras, etc...

If you are an experienced and dedicated fishkeeper you could look into discus...

I keep discus in my 75g planted:
http://i.imgur.com/JvstNFj.jpg

Caleb

What a beautiful tank!! Maybe I was unclear in my statement. I meant to say what would work with shrimp and if I didn't want to do that what would work as a bigger fish?

Just looked those up. Those are beautiful! I might have to consider them. Would that be a species only tank then?

Just looked those up. Those are beautiful! I might have to consider them. Would that be a species only tank then?

I've heard apistogrammas can be kept with Corydora catfish and that the males are more territorial than females. I don't have them not sure what their care involves

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I will end up keeping a discus tank. Can any other fish go with discus?

I think I will end up keeping a discus tank. Can any other fish go with discus?

Keep that state of mind. You base your tank around the needs of the discus.

Some popular tank mates:

Certain tetras such as lemon, cardinals, and neon.

GBR pair

SAE

loaches

Sterbai corydora

Bristlenose Pleco

Just to name some.

Caleb

Thanks for the info! Are any of those species beneficial to the discus? I might go with discus as well as a few loaches. This is probably a stupid question, but would shrimp survive in a discus tank? Also in a separate tank, would they survive with dwarf puffers?

Oh man German blue Rams are beautiful. Also Shelkley I know you have another thread about breeding fish for a profit, discus should be pretty profitable!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info! Are any of those species beneficial to the discus? I might go with discus as well as a few loaches. This is probably a stupid question, but would shrimp survive in a discus tank? Also in a separate tank, would they survive with dwarf puffers?

Some people have luck keeping shrimp with dwarf puffers but it's a gamble. The DPs will definitely eat shrimplets.

In general, if it can fit in a fish's mouth it will get eaten :popcorn:

I would not keep shrimp with Discus. Discus require very warm water. I am not sure what the shrimp like as far as temps, but the discus will eat any small shrimps that they can find.

I would not keep shrimp with Discus. Discus require very warm water. I am not sure what the shrimp like as far as temps, but the discus will eat any small shrimps that they can find.

From my experience, discus especially the bigger they get, are not fast swimmers lol. You could pull it off with enough hiding places. Chances are the shrimp might could outrun the discus.

Caleb

Do you think I should bet on them out swimming the discus? The shrimp I have a kind of expensive and I definitely don't want to loose those.
On a side note, does anyone have any idea how fast shrimp breed? I started with around 10 maybe a month ago and rarely saw them and now I see them more often and a few small ones too. Just curious how many I could potentially have in there.

Back
Top Bottom