New Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so havent ever realy been a fane of fighting fish but was givin one as a gift it was in a bowl which wasnt very big so it got a nano cube for it had a girl in their but the male was to agressive heres a pic of the tank does anyone have any advice for these fish

Theirs also 2 glass shrimp hiding in their

Attachments

• image-2582830911.jpg
    image-2582830911.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1614951136.jpg
    image-1614951136.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 119
Ok so havent ever realy been a fane of fighting fish but was givin one as a gift it was in a bowl which wasnt very big so it got a nano cube for it had a girl in their but the male was to agressive heres a pic of the tank does anyone have any advice for these fish

Theirs also 2 glass shrimp hiding in their

SEPARATE TANKS!!! You cannot have a male & a female in the same tank except when breeding under very controled & specialized conditions. Females can co-exist with other female Bettas if tank conditions are right but Males can rarely co-exist with other Bettas. What size is the nano tank? Is it heated? Bettas are tropical fish & their environment should be 78-80F. If you want them to really thrive & live long healthy lives they should be in a minimum of a 5g tank. They like a medium to heavy planted tank with some cave type structures to hide in.

+1 to Previous poster. Also I think they will eat those shrimp.

The male will kill the female. As mentioned to breed them you need extremely controlled conditions. These fish were initially bred to fight for gambling purposes, they would only breed aggressive fish it wasn't until later that they started breeding for color and beauty but by this time they were already predispositioned to be mean.

It looked like this when purchased

Sorry wrong thread

Attachments

• image-1998447109.jpg
    image-1998447109.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 105
couldnt see the pic that well but the tanks a 10ltr its tiny but better than the bowl has lights that keep the tank at 22degrees all the time im not to worried about it just was wondering what kinda needs they have every one iv spoke to said the lighting i have will keep the water the right temp iv also been told they like to have a air stone in the tank

im going to get another nano the same and have them side by side so i can try my hand at breeding

cheers was only $150 to fully set it up so im happy looks great too

You need way more tanks to breed them. Notice the stress lines on the female? It's because she is freaking out at the male.
For breeding, you'd need these tanks, and I may have missed something because I havent bred before-
3-10 gal
100-200- 1 gal jars
2-3- 55 gal
5-10- five gal

just a tad i thought they where egg layers so wouldnt i only need a main breeding pair and a fry tank then jars for males

couldnt see the pic that well but the tanks a 10ltr its tiny but better than the bowl has lights that keep the tank at 22degrees all the time im not to worried about it just was wondering what kinda needs they have every one iv spoke to said the lighting i have will keep the water the right temp iv also been told they like to have a air stone in the tank

Yes, the light typically warms the water but usually only a couple of degrees & unless your room temperature is 76-78F the tank will not be warm enough for the Bettas. If you really want to care for them properly they need to be separated ASAP as someone else pointed out the female is clearly stressed because you can see the lines down her sides. Yes, they are in a better container than the cup they came in but that doesn't mean they are living in optimal conditions. If your tank is newly set up you need test the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates & do water changes based on the test results to keep the fish healthy & alive. But PLEASE get them separated, your tank does not provide enough room or cover for multiple Bettas of any gender.

i seperated them the same day i took the photo they where only together for an hour or so the female is currently in a bowl :( i was also thinking about getting a tank which is 600x300x300 and dividing it in 2 so i can optimis room and filtration(sorry for bad spelling)

Sorry, I go over the top sometimes. Thats the setup I'd like lol.

might give it ago how long should i put the together for each time i try breed them

lamby said:
i seperated them the same day i took the photo they where only together for an hour or so the female is currently in a bowl :( i was also thinking about getting a tank which is 600x300x300 and dividing it in 2 so i can optimis room and filtration(sorry for bad spelling)

Glad to hear it & we all have issues with spelling sometimes LOL. I wouldn't divide anything smaller than a 10g & you'll want to make sure they can't see each other.

why cant they see each other are they realy that agressive all mine seens to do when its pissed is flair up its neck

lamby said:
why cant they see each other are they realy that agressive all mine seens to do when its pissed is flair up its neck

Some are OK with seeing another Betta but for others it's too stressful & can cause health issues which can lead to death. Plus if they know there's another Betta they could try to get through to other side which they can either succeed or get hurt trying.

Back
Top Bottom