New Freshwater Tank, Fishless Cycle Question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DustinGerard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ammonia 0
Nitrite (appears off the chart, looks like dark reddish purple to me)
Nitrate 80
pH 8.0

Im trying to do a fishless cycle for the first time. I just did a grueling hour long 90% water change to lower my nitrites, but they appear to be the same. My questions are should i do another water change so soon or should i wait? Also should I add more ammonia? Im afraid to lose my bacteria, but with the nitrites so high i cant tell what they are and that would only add more to it.

wait 30 min and do another 50% water change
I think it's better to do multiple 50% water changes.

When I was doing my cycle, I did up to 3 wc in a day.

Regarding the ammonia, I would wait until your last wc of the day and then add 4mpp.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite (appears off the chart, looks like dark reddish purple to me)
Nitrate 80
pH 8.0

Im trying to do a fishless cycle for the first time. I just did a grueling hour long 90% water change to lower my nitrites, but they appear to be the same. My questions are should i do another water change so soon or should i wait? Also should I add more ammonia? Im afraid to lose my bacteria, but with the nitrites so high i cant tell what they are and that would only add more to it.

You can do large WC's with a fishless cycle. You nitrites are probably so high you won't see a change in them until you do enough WC's to get them down to readable levels. This will also lower nitrate levels which are also too high. Those high levels of nitrites could stall your cycle.

Once you get nitrite levels down to readable levels try only dosing ammonia back to 2ppm to start so you don't send nitrite levels shooting out the roof again. See what that does to your nitrite level and how quickly the ammonia processes.

Back
Top Bottom