New Predatory tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galasca

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 50 gallon tank that is currently empty in the closest. I want to get a predatory fish, but not something to large like a gar. I want something that will eat it's prey in a cloud of gore. I'm also on a budget of about 40-50 dollars for the fish alone. I'll most likely purchase it as a juvenile. What fish do you guys suggest? Where should I buy it from? Please help! :fish1:

A 50g is pretty small for most predators.

What about an African Leaf Fish? It stalks its prey at night.

Caleb

Well I was planning on upgrading to a 150 as soon as it gets bigger. The only reason I don't have the 150 now is that we don't have the space right now while we are renovating our future 'tank room'.

I was thinking of maybe a oscar or other cichlid

Take a look at red tail barracudas then. (I believe they like schools) and are very aggressive. You could enjoy watching them chase *healthy* feeder fish.

Caleb

What site would I use to check them out? My local pet store shut down.
And how easily would you say they are to maintain healthy?

Take a look at red tail barracudas then. (I believe they like schools) and are very aggressive. You could enjoy watching them chase *healthy* feeder fish.

Caleb

Too big. They grow 10"+.

You'll be hard pressed to find something that leaves its "prey in a cloud of gore" as you describe, let alone that fits in a 50. You could do Exodon paradoxus, they're a notorious lepidophage meaning they pick and pluck the scales of fish. About as close you'll get IMO

Jesse

Too big. They grow 10"+.

You'll be hard pressed to find something that leaves its "prey in a cloud of gore" as you describe, let alone that fits in a 50. You could do Exodon paradoxus, they're a notorious lepidophage meaning they pick and pluck the scales of fish. About as close you'll get IMO

Jesse

I meant for the 150 mentioned in the second comment bro.

Caleb

I'll be getting the 150 maybe a month after owning the fish.

They seem to be schooling fish and I'm worried I can't fit more than 2 in my 50 gallon.

They seem to be schooling fish and I'm worried I can't fit more than 2 in my 50 gallon.

You could just wait on the 150g and stock it then. No need for a rush and like Jesse pointed out there isn't much for a gore fish in a 50g.

Plus life can happen and plans change.

Caleb

Do a gulper cat. Won't be gory but you'll notice things disappear quickly. Other fish, air stones, decor, etc lol

Jesse

Sounds more like a goat then a fish. xD

How many could I fit in the 50g out of curiosity?

Couldn't find anything online about how much space they need.
They also seem like super kick butt fish.

Ohh I meant how many Bucktooth Tetra(s) could fit in the 50g

Back
Top Bottom