new starter - shimp cycling - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soapyrows

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone
I'm new here and new to aquarium keeping. :)
I have been cycling my tank for two weeks now with a dead shrimp, which is now mouldy. Should I remove it since it's mouldy? Ammonia levels are high but no nitrites yet... I also don't have a heater in there. Would it be best to put one in? My plants are starting to rot in the meantime. :( I don't mind waiting but just want to know I'm doing the right thing! My tank is only small, about 25L.

soapyrows said:
Hi everyone
I have been cycling my tank for two weeks now with a dead shrimp, which is now mouldy. Should I remove it since it's mouldy? Ammonia levels are high but no nitrites yet... I also don't have a heater in there. Would it be best to put one in? My plants are starting to rot in the meantime. :( I don't mind waiting but just want to know I'm doing the right thing! My tank is only small, about 25L.

Welcome to AA! Check out the link in my signature to give you some info and answers. I don't have any experience personally cycling with shrimp, but hopefully the article can give you some good answers and tips to help you along.

Thanks for that! I actually read through that earlier. Just not too sure about the mouldy shrimp...whether I should remove it cos it's furry...!

I've never cycled with shrimp, but I'd probably suggest throwing a new one in for a couple days before you remove the old. That way you can keep the ammo level up while you wait for the new one to decay. I know some people put them in mesh bags or fish nets to keep it from spreading through the tank. As I said in the article, it's definitely worth searching for pure ammonia if you've got a hardware store nearby, because it is so much easier to keep a consistent level of ammo. Also, a heater will really speed things up because the bacteria need water temps in the mid 80's to colonize the fastest.

And good for you that you're new to the hobby and are fishless cycling your tank. It's the right thing to do.

I'll be happy to help with any questions you come up with along the way that aren't covered in the article.

It would be easiest to toss the shrimp and get pure ammonia. If you can't find pure ammonia I would at least wash the moldy bits off the shrimp. While it's not likely, mold can spread and you don't want it infesting your tank. If you see free floating blobs of mold, take the shrimp out and do a 100% water change. Once again, it is very uncommon for this to happen but it is possible. You could throw a whole new shrimp in there but that is likely to slow down your cycle.
Also, a heater would help your cycle and you probably need one eventually anyway (depending on what type of fish you want) so you might as well get one now.

soapyrows said:
Hi everyone

How high is your ammo? Too high and it'll stall your cycle IME. A heater will help your cycle a lot and your plants are not getting no3 to feed on. That could be an issue in itself since rotting plants will add ammo to your water too. IMO, take them out and put them in a tub of water by a window for a while.

Back
Top Bottom