new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minoubinette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here's the thing,
I'm buying a 33 gallon aquarium for my fish, that are in my 10 gallon for a year and a half and the problem is that this aquarium never had fish in it, just lizards! I was wondering what I should use to first, disenfect it and second, how long I should cycle it (2 weeks??)??
Cuz first off to cycle it, I could use some things that were already in the 10 gallon tank to help it out right? But like the gravel and filter will be completly new... I do have some products though to help out the amounts of beneficial bacteria, so I shouldn't have too many problems...
thanx!

If this is a tank that was made for reptiles, it has thin glass and will not be suitable for an aquarium - you really need to find out if that is the case, or there will be certain disaster!

If it is a fish aquarium that was used for lizards then just use a weak bleach solution and scrub the thing out extremely well, and rinse, rinse, rinse, etc. Then fill with tank water and and overdose with dechlorinator, and let it sit to check for leaks.

Then follow fishless cycling procedures and with some media from the old tank to seed, you should be up and running in several weeks.

This is a used tank? Constructed for reptiles only? It may not be suitable for fish. It usually takes 3-4 weeks for tank to fully cycle. This depends on what you're going to use to start it up. You can purchase test kits (Ammonia, NO2, NO3) to monitor the cycle. Good luck with your new tank. BTW, what types of fish do you currently have?

4 Goldfishs and 2 plecos, but in the new tank, i'll only put the 3" plecos and leave the nearly 2" in the 10 gallon for the mollies or gouramies. Here's a picture of my aquarium and the huge fish I have in there. There are 2 fantails which are 2" without the tail and 2 normal ones that are 3" without the tail also :p too biiiiig
and i'll check for the tank... how thick should the glass be for a 33 gal?
there's pictures of them in my gallery

The pic bellow, is pretty much their actual size

It will be hard to tell from pics - look on the bottom and see if you can see any identifying marks, labels anything that might show what kind of tank it is.

Each goldie should be given 10-15 gals per fish due to their messy nature and metabolic needs. It looks like you are applying the inch per gallon rule. That rule isn't great since it does not account for aggressive behaviors or "messy" fish. It also is the adult fish. Even if the fish is little, you need to take into account the max since and then apply the inch per gallon rule.

ok, but wont the bleach kill my fish if it seeps into the sillicon? cuz I'm in an appartement and it's getting REALLY cold outside. So you know, rinsing in the tub isn't the biggest convienience. Someone told me to use seasalt to desinfect the tank, does it work? If it's an actual aquarium that is.... :S

They is never a fool proof way to disinfect a tank previously used for a reptile, but either the salt or bleach are an option. Just be certian to test the tank with your less expensive fish to make certain. It is possible that Ammonia & Nitrite may not be your only problems, and you don't want other toxins in the tank to kill a valuable fish.
For the record, I agree that you should not mix those Golffish with your other fish. I would even consider making the new aquarium for Goldfish only.

Bleach is not going to permanently penetrate the silicon and harm the fish. Use a very weak solution (really important to kill anything nasty that might be in the tank) and then overdose with dechlorinator (de-bleach-in-ator, lol) and you will be perfectly fine. I've done it many many times without problems.

oh cool, thanks tank girl...

and as for the goldfish and other fish, don't worry, the goldies are going in the 33 gallon and the platties in the 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom