New tank canister filter setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdietr1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 55 g freshwater tank that I'm currently setting up and an established biorb life 30 tank. I purchased a Cascade 1000 canister for my new tank and am trying to decide what kind of media to use. I'd like to use some of the ceramic media from my established biorb as a bio filter in 1 or 2 trays of the canister? I'm thinking this would work well b/c the ceramic media is already full of bb, jump starting my cycle while adding something like biomax would be essentially starting from scratch. Any thoughts? Smart idea or completely off base?

Sounds good to me you could also use a filter pad/ floss or whatever to help better imo when you do a water change add it to it aswell

Welcome to the family of AA :)

Great idea to seed your filter. In my cascade 1000 my media from bottom to top goes like this:
Floss
Sponge
Bio rings
Floss
Bio rings
Sponge
Floss
Sponge

Bottom to top. Its a great filter for the dollars

Great idea to seed your filter. In my cascade 1000 my media from bottom to top goes like this:
Floss
Sponge
Bio rings
Floss
Bio rings
Sponge
Floss
Sponge

Bottom to top. Its a great filter for the dollars

Thanks for the info....I was thinking of doing something like that but with the ceramic media instead of bio rings....glad to know my theory is sound!

How do you feel about charcoal in a canister? Is it a bad idea unless the tank has been recently medicated?

generally its not needed plus it can take nutriance your plants (if u got em) need the other issue is charcoal can hide issues by clearing the water, if there are any issues the water will tell u

jdietr1 said:
Thanks for the info....I was thinking of doing something like that but with the ceramic media instead of bio rings....glad to know my theory is sound!

Ceramic media is great. My Bio rings are ceramic and have thousands of pores for colonization.
I only use carbon if I need to remove treatments from the water, which is hardly ever. Otherwise I feel like its unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom