New Tank Cycle: First Round of Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old School

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, All.

New to the forum; thanks for all for sharing your wisdom. This past Sunday, I setup a new 60 gallon tank. We included 8 feeder fish for the sake of getting some things going in the way of bacteria. We also added Seachem's Stability product per Seachem's instructions.

I did a 20% water change on Tuesday.

Today, Thursday, four days since the initial setup, I did a round of testing using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. My results are as follows:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Water Temp: 73.9 F

Per the noted results, I would like to get some feedback. As I stated, we have some feeders in the tank now for the mere cycle. These will go away and be replaced by other fish.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and comments.

OS

looks like you are doing pretty well. I am pretty sure the advice is anytime you test at .25ppm for ammonia or Nitrites you do a PWC. you might need to do more than a 20% change though. right now I think you are doing ok. I would say either do a PWC change today or you can wait until tomorrow. tomorrow you will definitely need to do that PWC! I am doing 2 fish IN cyles right now as well, and when I do my PWC (daily) I am changing out 50% or close to it every time. Just got to keep those numbers down. the school of thought is if your ammonia reads .50ppm and you do a 50% PWC then your ammonia will now read .25ppm. make sense? so bottom line is you want your numbers at or below .25ppm

Hi! Do you mind if I ask what you plan on doing with the 'feeder' fish when you say 'they will go away' (i am assuming they are goldfish)? If you want to do a fish-in cycle, you should be stocking only the fish you plan on keeping and do daily water changes to keep them healthy. I would do a 50% water change right now to lower your ammonia levels below .25ppm and continue to do water changes any time your ammonia & nitrite levels hit .25ppm (or higher). This will spare the feeder fish from suffering from toxic levels of ammonia and/or nitrite. :)

Thanks for the info. I will do a 50% PWC today to get the number down. I presume until all are at zero, it wouldn't be wise to add more fish? And, as we add fish, how many at a time? 2-3, wait, test, add more?

As for the feeder fish, they are goldfish; the $.14 variety. We will donate them to a child who want a pet to call their own or to someone who has a pet who needs feeding.

OS

Welcome to AA. Looks like you're off to a good start and getting some good advice.

I wouldnt add anymore more fish until your tank is fully cycled. You are only in the initial stages of cycling, so this will be atleast 6-8wks (or longer). You will also need to decide what you would like to stock the tank with once you are fully cycled and do your research for appropriate species for this tank, their compatibility, and their housing/dietary needs. If decide on tropicals, you will need a heater as well. The best and realistically only place common goldfish belong is an appropriate sized pond- they are not sutiable fish for aquariums unless the aquarium is VERY large. They can grow to be 18inches & live over 20yrs. Good luck & keep us posted! :)

@jlk - We do have a heater. For now, we are going to go with Tropical fish when the time is right. The goldfish will be removed prior to adding the new fish through attrition.

For now, our list of intend fish includes:
  • plecos
  • angel fish
  • catfish
  • neon tetra
  • bala shark

I appreciate the encouragement and guidance.

OS

I am not going to be of much help in respect to your possible stocking list (i keep coldwater fish) but I am sure others will help you out! You can also post a stocking thread for more help & advice because I suspect not all of the fish are compatible or appropriate for your sized tank but I will let the experts on these fish advise! :)

There are guides out there that have charts for ammonia toxicity levels since it's not a hard number, it's based on pH and temperature of the tank. But a good guideline is 'as low as possible', of course.

Your stocking list looks okay, but I would adjust a few things. For plecos, be sure you don't end up with the large variety. Common plecos and sailfin plecos you should avoid. Bristlenose are good and stay small, and there are many other species that will work, just do your homework.

I'd skip the bala sharks completely, they do best in groups, and they get large. By large, I mean really large, I've seen them easily get 8-10" or so, so they really should be in at least a 6foot long tank. A possible option to consider in it's stead would be something like a redtail shark or rainbow shark. They are loners and don't outgrow 55g+ tanks.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom