Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New tank, discolored tiger barb

I just got a new tank for my birthday. Its nothing big, just a 5 gallon tank. I have four neons, a tiger barb, sucker fish, and crab in there right now. The tiger barb was full of color this morning, and when I looked at it tonight the stripes were hardly visible. I don't know what is causing this? it didn't seem as energetic as normal either. Any ideas as to why its discolored? Not sure if its a male or female

Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayler22
I just got a new tank for my birthday. Its nothing big, just a 5 gallon tank. I have four neons, a tiger barb, sucker fish, and crab in there right now. The tiger barb was full of color this morning, and when I looked at it tonight the stripes were hardly visible. I don't know what is causing this? it didn't seem as energetic as normal either. Any ideas as to why its discolored? Not sure if its a male or female
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's stress. Your tank is severely overstocked. Tiger barbs need at least 30 gallons of water and do best in schools. Neon tetras need at least 20 gallons IMO, and most crabs are not fully aquatic, what kind is it? What kind of sucker cat? You will certainly need a larger tank

Also, what is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's stress. Your tank is severely overstocked. Tiger barbs need at least 30 gallons of water and do best in schools. Neon tetras need at least 20 gallons IMO, and most crabs are not fully aquatic, what kind is it? What kind of sucker cat? You will certainly need a larger tank

Also, what is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?
+1 ... Tigerbarbs are shoaling fish and need to be in groups of at least 5 ... Though I recommend at least 7. A 5 gal is too small a tank for your stock.

Tags
barb, tan, tiger, tiger barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com