New tank heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sberk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently in the middle of my fishless cycle and think i need a different heater. I have a tetra submersable auto temperature which I thought sounded like a great idea at the time. Problem is that it keeps the temp around 73.

I read another post saying that Visitherm was good. What size (watts) would I need for a 20g high?

Tetra's are terrible heaters, I went thru the same thing and have changed all of mine out to the Stealths. I would go for one rated higer than you need, like 30-50 gallons, (100 or 150 watt), that way they do less work. :)

Marineland Stealth Pro all the way... i have one so far, getting more as soon as possible. Right now if you go to Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products you can get them for like $25, and if you google "drs foster smith coupon", the first search result will have a $5 off coupon, use that and shipping only costs $5.99, so when you take the $5 off coupon, youre only spending $.99 on shipping

I think a rough rule for choosing heater size is 5 watts per gallon, isn't it? So for a 20 gallon, as said above, you'd choose a heater that's 100 watts (5X20). Hope that helps!

PS: I've used three Stealth heaters now and have nothing but fabulous things to say about them. My other, glass heaters, not so much...

I use a Stealth too (50w for my 12g) and so far so good! Marineland makes both the Visi-Therm and Stealth Pro so you can't go wrong with either. Best deal for the heaters would be from Dr. Fosters & Smith. If you want to save a couple extra bucks, get the Visi-Therm over the Stealth. According to the Marineland specs, you will need a 75w for aquariums up to 25g.

the only problem is the visitherm isnt shatterproof like the stealth pro. and the stealth pro has a green light to show the tank is at or above temp, and a red when its working... its well worth the extra couple dollars

Any heater is not fine....I have spent wayyy too much money on crappy heaters that can't keep the temp steady. And if we can give advice and save people money in the long run, that's what we are going to do. To keep people from making the same mistakes we all made at one point.

I think a rough rule for choosing heater size is 5 watts per gallon, isn't it? So for a 20 gallon, as said above, you'd choose a heater that's 100 watts (5X20). Hope that helps!

PS: I've used three Stealth heaters now and have nothing but fabulous things to say about them. My other, glass heaters, not so much...
3-5wpg really it depends on how good your flow is. the temp of the room its in and how well the heat stays trapped in. colder rooms will need larger heaters. if the room is always at say 75 you really wont need too much to get up to 77-78.
Just about any heater should be fine.:mad:

Any heater is not fine....I have spent wayyy too much money on crappy heaters that can't keep the temp steady. And if we can give advice and save people money in the long run, that's what we are going to do. To keep people from making the same mistakes we all made at one point.
i will make the case heaters are one of the most important things you buy. they are often over looked but how many stories have you read about cheap heaters getting stuck on and killing the fish.... or some times just no longer heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate

The whole reason this thread is here is because I bought a crappy heater. Lesson learned.

i have been told that the vista should be un pluged for one hour to calibrate.then plug it in

I picked up a Jager heater last weekend and it has worked flawlessly so far. Temp has zero flucuation.

Back
Top Bottom