New Tank Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,
First post and all that... :whistle:

A friend just gave me a 20 gallon aquarium, i'm not sure of the brand - it's glass, 24"x12"x16". I've got an AquaClear 20 filter on it, and it's sitting at a comfortable 79degrees. There are a couple of plastic plants on the sides, and a cave and castle in the substrate.
While I'm waiting for it to cycle, I'm planning how to stock it.

After a bit of research and window-shopping, i'm thinking of the list below. What are everyone's thoughts on it, as well as the schedule?

When it cycles, introduce 6 Zebra Danios to start.
A week or so later, add a Betta and 6 Neon Tetras.
A week or so later, add 4 Cory Cats.

From what I've read, that will keep the schools around the mid-level of the tank, the Corys at the bottom, and the Betta near the top. Separation, variety, etc... I'm new to this hobby, and would appreciate your opinions.

HI and welcome!

You might want to read up on the nitrogen cycle; letting a tank "run" doesn't cycle it. It needs an ammonia source either from fish or from you adding it manually. Both methods have pros and cons. This link will give you more info: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

Your stock sounds OK except for the Betta; generally they don't do well in community tanks due to their aggression. YOu can try it but it doesn't always work out. Add the betta last but if it picks on other fish or the other way around you'll need a backup plan.

I'd also consider adding more filtration; double the filtration for the size tank is usually recommended. So either add a second filter or upgrade the one you have.

Thanks LibraryGirl.
My local pet shop gave me a bag of water from one of their aquariums, as apparently this will already have some of the bacteria required to start the cycle.
Thanks for the Betta suggestion - i though they were only aggressive with other Bettas, but I might have misunderstood.
As for the filtration, i'm thinking of buying a 2nd one. After buying it, I discovered just what you said.

Tank water doesn't contain much bacteria so it won't do much for the cycle in itself. You want filter media from an established healthy tank, that'll help a lot more although most pet stores won't give you any lol

Ah, thanks.
I don't have any fishy friends, so would simply putting a small amount of ammonia in the tank start the process?

Ah, thanks.
I don't have any fishy friends, so would simply putting a small amount of ammonia in the tank start the process?

Yep! If you want to do a fishless cycle, yes. Media from another filter isn't necessary....the bacteria will find its way into your tank eventually, it just speeds up the process but it'll happen regardless.

As librarygirl already pointed out I'd probably nix the idea for a betta in your tank. Instead I'd recommend a nice honey gourami. Very peaceful and they have lots of personality!

Thanks Azmodan,
I'm kinda disappointed to leave out the Betta, but it seems to be the best bet. A lot of resources say they're passive unless you put two males together. Better safe than sorry though.
Do you know of any communal freshwater fish that might look similar? I showed my wife a pic of a gourami and she didn't think it was flashy enough.

try the dwarf gourami mines a beautiful neon blue with red stripes she might like them

IMG_8752.jpg

the pic doesnt show his beautiful.neon colours off well but google them and show her some pics :)

Nice. It's looking like a Honey Gourami may be the one.

The plan now, in a couple of weeks once the cycling has finished:
Introduce 6 Zebra Danios.
A week later add 4 Sterbai Corys.
A week later add 6 Neon Tetras.
A week later add the Gourami.

I checked and my local shop has them all in stock regularly. Is a week between each introduction going to be right? I don't want to keep dumping more and more in if it might disrupt the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate process or freak out the fish by adding all 17 within a month or so...

TOMatt said:
Nice. It's looking like a Honey Gourami may be the one.

The plan now, in a couple of weeks once the cycling has finished:
Introduce 6 Zebra Danios.
A week later add 4 Sterbai Corys.
A week later add 6 Neon Tetras.
A week later add the Gourami.

I checked and my local shop has them all in stock regularly. Is a week between each introduction going to be right? I don't want to keep dumping more and more in if it might disrupt the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate process or freak out the fish by adding all 17 within a month or so...

I feel sterbais should not be placed In less than a 35. Try panda or Pygmy cories

Back
Top Bottom