New to me 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soko44mag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not sure if this is the place for this, but here gos. Have alot of questions about my new tank and already started on the wrong foot, which brought me here. Purchased a 55gal tank that was established that stayed dry for about a month while I moved into my new place. I had a friend help me with start up, as if the tank were brand new. I left it fishless for about a week. Just wondering if BB "drys" up after a while? I plan on getting a test kit ASAP but my fish are coming this week. Also have some media that was left there also, a hefty load of rocks with algae. Talked to the kid at the store and he said to get plants, so I bought 4 of them along with some feeder guppies and a few crayfish. Im doing a coldwater native tank with a pair of grass pickerels, Any thoughts??

Hm. If it completely dried out then there's a good chance no bacteria are left on there. If that's the case your fish are going to be in trouble.

Do you have a liquid test kit, like the API kit? (not strips, which are innaccurate). IF not, get one now.

Also stop listening to the people at the fish store. They usually just want to sell you stuff and don't care about the quality of life for your fish.

First thing you should do is test the water parameters and post them here. If I were you I'd also cancel the fish order (or find someone who can house them while your tank cycles) and cycle fishless: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling It'll be safer for your fish and a lot less work and worrying for you.

Hm, I just re-read your post. Do you already have fish in there (guppies, etc) or no? If you do, I'd take them back and go fishless, that's my strongest recommendation until your tank cycles.

If you really have to cycle with fish then read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! But be prepared for lots of water testing and daily water changes for the next 1-3 months.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom