New too aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey fellow fish lovers. I'm new to this site and recently bought a 5 gallon fish tank so I thought I would share some photos of my set up.

And hopefully get some questions answered..

My tank has a AQUA-tech 5-15 power filter hooked up to it. The tank has been running a good week. I started the tank off with two hearty fish my LFS suggest. I've been also adding the stability bacteria since set up, and will continue for another 5 days. I took my water into my LFS and they said my water was fine to add more fish in. So today I got two more fish. One being a neon blue dwarf gourami. And the other being another tetra.

So my question I have are.

1. Water should my water temp be around for the 5 gallon tank? (currently at 77)

2. How often should I change my filter?

3.how often to change water/ how much of water should be left in during change?

4. Is the amount of fish I have now to much for this tank? (4 fish/5 gal)

Sorry for all the question. Just new to owning my own tank and want to make sure I do everything correct before upgrading to larger tank in the future.

Attachments

• image-1509891505.jpg
    image-1509891505.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2536596621.jpg
    image-2536596621.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 62
1- the temperature will depend on the livestock. Research on liveaquaria.com or something for that.

2-Your filter should be changed when it falls apart. Just rinse it in tank water during water changes so you don't kill the beneficial bacteria.

3- you should change however much is needed to bring your nitrates to an appropriate level but I'd never do more then 75% at a time so if that isnt enough then a second change is needed.

4- honestly I wouldn't reccomend any fish for a 5 gallon tank (just my opinion) but the ones you have chose definitely not.

The tetras are a schooling fish requiring 5+ in a group to feel safe.That being said I think you should return the fish and rethink your stocking list. Then buy a test kit and see where your at on your cycle since you can't trust your lfs to give you good advise since it usually ends in "your ready to add more fish $$$"

Welcome to AA though and if you have any more questions feel free to ask thats what were here for :)

Hi and welcome. My replies below in blue...

Hey fellow fish lovers. I'm new to this site and recently bought a 5 gallon fish tank so I thought I would share some photos of my set up.

And hopefully get some questions answered..

My tank has a AQUA-tech 5-15 power filter hooked up to it. The tank has been running a good week. I started the tank off with two hearty fish my LFS suggest. I've been also adding the stability bacteria since set up, and will continue for another 5 days. I took my water into my LFS and they said my water was fine to add more fish in. So today I got two more fish. One being a neon blue dwarf gourami. And the other being another tetra.

What fish do you have exactly beside the gourami? A 5 gal tank isn't very large and the fish species are pretty limited. Unfortunately most LFS stores won't tell you this and they'll just sell you anything. Just on what I've read so far I'm guessing your fish are too many and too large for a 5 gal.

So my question I have are.

1. Water should my water temp be around for the 5 gallon tank? (currently at 77) Most tropical fish to well at 76-78, so 77 should be fine.

2. How often should I change my filter? Not until it's literaly falling apart. your beneficial bacteria (once is grows) will be living in your filter media. Just swish it around in some old tank water during water changes once the tank is more established; for now, leave it alone.

3.how often to change water/ how much of water should be left in during change?
That really depends on how fast the ammonia (and nitrite, when you get to that stage) is rising. With that many fish in a 5 gal its' probably going to rise rather quickly. Getting a good liquid test kit (not strips, they are cheaper short-term but are inaccurate) like the API Master kit is a must to be able to test your water daily and do water changes as needed. Until you get one, I'd do 30-50% water changes daily until you know what's going on in there. Here's a link to help guide you. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

4. Is the amount of fish I have now to much for this tank? (4 fish/5 gal)
The number of fish isn't the only issue; it's what kind you have.
Products like Stablity are hit and miss; sometimes they work, most often they won't. Here's another link that migh help give you more info: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Sorry for all the question. Just new to owning my own tank and want to make sure I do everything correct before upgrading to larger tank in the future. No problem that's why we're here! :)

Back
Top Bottom