New with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,

I've recently gotten interested in owning an aquarium and after some extensive reading; I finally feel prepared enough to make a purchase. The problem is my living conditions only allow me to have a tank that is 5 gallons or less. I realize that a 5 gallon tank might be challenging for a newbie but it’s all I get to work with. I plan to buy my supplies (tank, décor, and such) based around the fish I purchase, but knowing the limits of my tank, that doesn't leave me with many options.

Besides a beta or shrimps, can a 5 gallon tank facilitate any other type of fish? Also is a 5 gallon tank enough for a crayfish?
Thanks a bunch!

I've heard it said many times that a 5 gallon tank is really too small to keep anything in because there is simply not enough surface area to keep enough bacteria, meaning your tank can't cycle properly and you'll never be able to keep the water parameters stable. If you could upgrade to just a 10 gallon, you would have many more options stocking wise and you would have a much easier time maintaining water quality. However, if there is just no way you can fit a 10 gallon, then I would say that the 5 gallon can be done, as long as you are meticulous. Besides, I'd rather a betta be living in a well maintained 5 gallon with you than in a bowl that's rarely cleaned with someone who doesn't know/care about fish care. Monitor water quality often and do frequent water changes. Using live plants will help a ton because they will help keep water quality stable. A betta could definitely work, as could shrimp, though your betta might eat your shrimp. I think it would really be cruel to keep any other type of fish in a 5 gallon though. You could do African dwarf frogs though! They are a lot of fun and really cute, and usually work well with bettas too. A nerite snail is another option, though you need to have an established enough tank that there is some algae for them to feed on. I don't know about the crawfish, sorry! I would imagine not though.

I would vote one betta, one African dwarf frog, and an apple snail or a nerite snails, plus some live plants and some sort of cave or hiding spot for your betta and frog. A moss ball would be fun, your frog would probably hang out on it. You would also need a heater, as small as you can, because bettas need mid to high 70s for temp. Let us know what you decide to do! And pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your input! I was hesitant to put anything with a betta but now I think I will consider it

Sure :) frogs and snails are usually a safe bet with bettas, but if not, your lfs should take them back

there are these really tiny red tetras the my lfs has that he has in a smaller tank
, he says they only get 1/2" long

I thought about tetras but I read somewhere that they like a larger space to swim in so I don't think a 5 gallon would suffice haha

Tetras typically need 20+ gallons, and need groups of at least 6. Some could work in a 10 gallon, but I wouldn't do a 5

Sounds like you've done your research!

i think you could put a couple guppies in a 5gal. Just make sure they are both males unless you want fry.

Back
Top Bottom