The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fetch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I've bought a 10 gallon more vertical than horizontal. I'm doing a lot of research before I even take it out of the box.

I'm reading all about cycling and such now, but I was just curious to ask the community on any thing you'd like to share that would be helpful in guiding an aspiring aquarist.

I'd like an aesthetically pleasing tank with bottom, middle, and top swimmers - but know I don't have a lot of wiggle room.

Any comments, stories, tips, links are helpful.

Cheers!

Welcome to AA!

First, you sound like you have read up about cycling but I just want to say, purchasing a Master Test Kit for your aquarium (if you havent already) is one of the most important things you could do, in my opinion. Keeping track of your water quality is diar for your fish's health.

For a 10 gallon tank, I would say snails, shrimp, maybe some guppies, neon tetra's and/or glofish. You can read up about each of these to find out further about them. Keeping any of these fish at a 1 Male to 2 Female ratio is important. You could also do some Molly's, which need to be kept at a 1M/2F ratio also. Here is a link about Nano-Fish.

Hope this helps!

Consider they types of fish you're considering in how they normally swim. Since you have a Column or more cube like tank.

Many fish love to swim across the tank like the Danios, I think do that alot, Guppies just go where ever. Most Tetras like schooling and probably would enjoy more horizontal room.

After your tank matures/ 3-4 months of stable readings, think about 3-4 Marble Hatchet fish really pretty. Very top of the tank.

Also awesome are Amano Shrimp, you could do 3. A little research but snails are awesome as well and so fun to watch.

Also there are three Dwarf Cories, Pymaeus, Habrosus, and Hastatus which stay very small. 1.3" Probably Pygmy are most widely available.

Back
Top Bottom