Newbie! 60g tropical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would anyone happen to have any suggestions on driftwood? I'm looking for some natural decor and would like some referrals perhaps.

I've added a photo of how its currently looking currently in the cycling process. have some more items on order and will added later. but im pretty excited so far. can't wait to stock it up.

Attachments

• 20150227_172425.jpg
    20150227_172425.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 76
Yep the sat+ pro! Currently trying to figure out why my water looks cloudy.

Yep the sat+ pro! Currently trying to figure out why my water looks cloudy.
Awesome, make sure you run it at around 50% power, I have mine over a 2ft deep tank at 50%. Started to get algae growing on things (red 50, blue 50, green 50, white 50 or just tweak to what you currently have it set at, just at 50% or below in power)

Probably nitrate bloom
That is where my money is :) especially since you just started cycling and (presuming) you have that lamp at full blast.

Worry about the cloudiness once you have completed the fishless cycle. :)

Considered that. Test just now show everything at 0. Got some seachem stability to give it a go. I think the cloudiness was from the 4 bags of eco-complete. was quite a dust cloud from those.

And yeah I'm keeping the light minimal until my other plants arrive.

Hi Razzle..Looks like we almost went in for the same deal with the tank..had to satisfy my son's urge for a pet with this and now I think, I should've gone with the dog :p

I find myself so consumed with the process and the shopping and I've already spent close to $600 and still starring at an empty tank..

The plant you are talking about is Compacto, I believe..(assume you bought it from Petco..I bought the same as well and started seeing new leaves on it)

I went with a Fluval C4 and was concerned about relying on just one filter and ended up ordering a Fluval 406 canister..Can't wait to get home and hook that up..

Hows your cycling shaping up? I'm trying to be patient with the Nitrogen cycle and my Ammonia doesn't seem to drop any sooner.. :(

Hi Razzle..Looks like we almost went in for the same deal with the tank..had to satisfy my son's urge for a pet with this and now I think, I should've gone with the dog :p

I find myself so consumed with the process and the shopping and I've already spent close to $600 and still starring at an empty tank..

The plant you are talking about is Compacto, I believe..(assume you bought it from Petco..I bought the same as well and started seeing new leaves on it)

I went with a Fluval C4 and was concerned about relying on just one filter and ended up ordering a Fluval 406 canister..Can't wait to get home and hook that up..

Hows your cycling shaping up? I'm trying to be patient with the Nitrogen cycle and my Ammonia doesn't seem to drop any sooner.. :(

Hello!
Gratz on the tank. I tried the Dog route before the tank and personally that's just not for me. I like having bacteria clean up my fish waste. My carpets prefer fish also haha.

you'll end up spending a little more but the good news is that the spending tapers off unlike other consuming hobbies.(for many anyway lol)

I decided to go with 2 aquaclear 70 and they are excellent for the tank. I would have preferred a canister filter because the hobs are a little noisy to me. (perhaps mine are just loud or something) Unfortunetly the canister filters wont fit inside the tank stand because Marineland decided to make it a 2 layer shelf which imo is useless, (probably why this was so deeply discounted)

My cycle was completed a few days ago, i used seachem stability to boost the process and it seemed to have worked. ammonia is always wiped out daily. i added purigen after the cycling was completed to assist with filtration and remove tannins.

so far i've added 2 pieces of driftwood and planted a large variety of plants. im currently looking for some moss to attach to my manzanita driftwood.

i've stocked the tank but unfortunately I'm battling Ich right out of the gate. which i guess isn't terrible since i stocked many and i can just treat everyone at the same time and cleanse it off. increased temperature to 87 degrees for 2 weeks.

atm my stocking is
2 otos
3 cory
12 bose rainbows (juveniles)
2 EBR (appears i got 2 males since 1 is aggressive towards the other, not sure if i should add 2 more or not to attempt a pairing)
i went ahead and got that many rainbows because i plan on returning some females once they can be sexed.

i'll have to research further also but ultimately i think id like a few bose, turquoise, red Irian as long as they can be considered schooling together.

and thats about it so far. ill probably adjust stocking more also. ill upload some photos tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have all different kinds of rainbows and they school together.

I have:

Boesemani
Praecox
Turquoise
New Guinea
Red Irian
Common Australian
Eastern
Wanamensis
Trifasciata
Lake Tebera
Maccullochi
Parckinsoni
Kamaka

I love rainbows!

Glad that yours is already cycled. I'm just loosing my patience on it..Its been 3 weeks and my ammonia was still at 4ppm (seems like it stalled). I ended up doing a 90% wc last night and added some ammonia so as to not to starve the BB's if any in there. Have to get it tested tonight to see if I'm getting somewhere.

Hooked up the Fluval 406 couple of days back and my water is gleaming. As far as the noise is concerned, I only hear it from my C4 HOB. The canister is dead silent unless I go stand right next to it and feel the hoses for water movement. :). Jump on it the next time you think of upgrading..You won't regret!!!

Noticed this fish had white looking lips and a white patch behind its head. Any suggestions on what this may be?

Attachments

• 20150313_173633.jpg
    20150313_173633.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 51
Sometimes it's not a good sign, although it could go away on it's own. I've had columnaris outbreaks in the past, and many times it would start with the lips looking like this. Isolate this fish immediately, to have a better chance of the other fish not getting it, although they've already been exposed, you don't want it shedding more of it. Like I said, might be nothing, but better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom