Newbie question. Fish darting to the top for oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that you should trade in the shark and the CAE/loach? for two more corys. Corys are so much more confident and fun to watch in groups. Case in point: my five albino Corydoras aeneus are always patrolling the tank bottom for tidbits, but I rarely ever see my lone Corydoras melanistius - I need to get him some buddies. :oops:
One other interesting Cory quirk is that they fart! I swear - I've seen it!

I'm getting a little confused. So to summarize, Sikth, you currently have a neon tetra, a loach (unknown loach or cae?), and a male betta.

And you added the Methylene Blue b/c you thought you had neon tetra disease? (I say that b/c you seem unsure)

Fin rot is usually a sign of poor water quality.

Were you able to test the water parameters along the way? I saw that you tested them at one point...

The reason for the QT tank is that some meds will kill the bio filter so your tank will recycle. They can also stress (or kill) certain fish. It's also good to QT fish before adding them so they don't introduce the fish that are already in your tank to new illness. It's easiest to calculate how much medication to use for a 5 or 10 gallon tank, though I can understand if it seems silly when you already are using a ten gallon and barely have room for anything else.

I don't know what to say about your remaining tetra, is it ill?

================
================
qtoffer said:
One other interesting Cory quirk is that they fart! I swear - I've seen it!

LOL. How did it come about that you noticed this? Does everyone move to the other side of the tank?

I doubt your water parameters are "fine" when you have an uncycled tank with a heavy bio-load. Fish don't die for "no reason" (except otos :cry:). Your tank is bound to have high levels of ammonia and nitrite. And 0 nitrate is signs of an uncycled tank. It means you dont have the bacteria to convert nitrite into nitrate.

Menagerie said:
QTOFFER, you spend too much time in front of the tank :wink:

I know!! :D :D :D

smilla4 said:
LOL. How did it come about that you noticed this? Does everyone move to the other side of the tank?

No, the other fish jumped out! :D No, actually I saw bubbles and posted a question about it here. Several people told me that the air they gulp in definitely makes its way out again!

This is way OT, but my husband insists that he sees my adult male angel gulp some air at the surface occasionally, and then a big ole bubble comes out the other end! I have not seen this myself.....

Back
Top Bottom