Newbie starting a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inahaz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I stumbled upon this site a week ago and have been spending a ton of time reading and learning. Great info here.

I'm currently in the process of finishing my basement. In doing so, I have built in a 155 gallon bowed-front aquarium in one of the walls. This might sound strange, but I've never had fish before. But, I've always wanted to have something like this liven up a wall.

I've read up on cycling a tank and wanted to get some thoughts. I'm not in a rush, just want to do it right. Alot of the posts I've read refer to 10 and 20 gallon tanks. Since I have a larger tank, does this mean it will take considerably longer to cycle the tank?

I'm planning on using about 10 danios to begin. I've seen anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to wait prior to adding anything else. Is it possible to not have enough fish in a tank for a proper cycling?

Thanks in advance for your help. (And thank you to everyone who has contributed here. I've learned alot.)

10 danios would probably do fine. It will take a little longer for the ammonia levels to build up in a large tank, but that should be the only holdup. I don't think you'll see a noticeable diference in time for the cycle to complete. Have you read the article on fishless cycling? That would be a better way to do it if you have the patience to wait it out with no fish in the tank. IME, most FW tanks will cycle within 6 weeks. Some may go a little faster, but I'd plan on 6 weeks to be sure.
Logan J

First off, thats awesome that you get to do that! I'll get to do such a set up in about 10 years! :roll: But anyway, in most cases for Freshwater tanks the general rule of thumb that I got used to is what Logan said. Unfortunately I am an impatient butthead and will cut it to 4 weeks and it usually turns out alright as long as you've got fish in the tank helpin' out with the cycling, especially in your case with such a large tank. I would definately agree with Logan, because of the size of your tank, to do the 6 week period of cycling. I do suggest using fish in the cycling process, its most natural for the next inhabitants you will be putting in and you're risking less (in my opinion) for the future inhabitants to discover any unknown problems not encountered before, had you not used fish to cycle with. Good luck! :D

There is no difference between the ammonia/nitrite produced from the fishless method and the ammonia/nitrite produced by fish wastes. Either way will cycle the tank. The fishless way allows you to do it without chancing the lives of the fish. I have cycled tanks by adding liquid ammonia (from the Dollar store) and letting it run.
Logan J

I would suggest the fishless cycle first as others have mentioned above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure I'll get a few posts about this suggestion though, but here goes.

10 danios is gonna cost what 8-12 bucks? and you might lose 1 or 2 in the cycle.

How I cycled my FW tanks before I heard about the fishless cycle:
get to a LFS and tell them you want to cycle your tank, and grab yourself about 2 doz feeder goldfish, cost 3 bucks. and see if they will take them back at the end of the cycle, I know the LFS I worked at did. We gave a small credit also on them.

Then just let the tank cycle and you then can replace the goldfish with the fish you want. At most you are out 3 bucks in goldfish.

I've cycled a 125gal and 2 55gal tanks this way. Of course I didn't have to take back the goldfish because I just dropped in an oscar or 2. They kinda handled the goldfish problem :)

Thanks for the help.

I read the Fishless Cycling article. It refers alot to Saltwater tanks, but I don't think that is much of a problem. (i.e. suggests using fresh-uncooked shrimp from the grocery store to start the cycling). I am very intrigued by the liquid ammonia. From a theory standpoint, it should work.

Thanks again. I'll provide some pictures once I find a digital camera that works!

I am very intrigued by the liquid ammonia. From a theory standpoint, it should work.

It will work, many here have done it. It avoids stressing/killing any fish, just requres patience and the proper tests.

I am Very impressed you are doing all your homework before starting your tank, that is the BEST way to go, without a doubt!

I cycled my 130G with 5 tiger barbs, they lost there lives whenI added my other occupants who thought they made a good source of food.

Back
Top Bottom