Newbie to a 90 gallon tank, needing expert advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SP89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought myself a cool 90 gallon fish tank. I let it run a couple of days before I bought some goldfish to test the tank to be sure it is safe to buy the more expensive fish. 3 of the 5 fish have died within a week (they also seem to be abused walmart fish lol). I was thinking that maybe I missed something and was hopping to get some helpful advice from some successful large tank owners.

I have a fluval 404 100 gal fish filter
100 gallon tank heater
2 of the larger bubble bars on opposite side of tank from filter
And a circulator on the opposite side of the tank from filter.
I also put stress conditioner in the tank before I added the fish.

My guess is the bubblers. The kind of look like they suck. But then again I am a newbie at maintaining a larger tank. Any advice or recommendations on different air bubbles of any kind are appreciated!

Welcome to AA!

Most likely the cause of what killed the goldfish was because you did not cycle your aquarium. The ammonia and nitrite built up (toxic to fish) and killed them. Here a link to the nitrogen cycle: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Since you already have fish in the tank, there is no use on taking them out (started cycle). You will want to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels as low as possible (at least below .25 ppm) by doing a partial water change everyday until your tank is cycle (with a finished product of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-20 nitrate.)

While cycling, you are going to need to test your parameters. By doing this, you will have to get a liquid test kit (not strips, they are highly inaccurate). I personally like the API liquid master test kit (Tests Ph, High Ph, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia.)

Once your tank is done cycling, you start to stock your tank slowly (1-3 fish at a time. Only add new fish after 2 weeks of adding others. <- This will let the bio-load catch up)

Hope this helped.
Enjoy the forum

Thank you tyspot1000! I read the fish cycle for dummies carefully, and this looks like where I went wrong.

Back
Top Bottom