No cycle after 4 months? Clorine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I rinsed the filter using the water I took out of the tank, and the last time I did that was about a month ago. The same filter has been in there for about two months, so I don't think the bacteria was washed away. I do use a gravel vac every time I do a water change. I don't think I have a faulty test kit because th ammonia fluctuates, its not always the same. I tested my tap water and it showed negative for ammonia. I took a water sample to the fish store and he tested it and got th same results I did.

So should I stop doing water changes? How high should I let the ammonia get? I don't want to hurt the fish. Is my tank under filtered? Its just a 10 gallon, and the filter works well.

My filter is the marineland penguin biowheel 100, with the filter cartridge and the filter media the guy at the fish store gave me.

Okay, so here is what I would do. Take tje fish back or home them temporarily until this is done. Goto the store and get pure ammonia. Take the carbon filter pad out of your filter and add a cap full of ammonia. This is going to take another month or so but had to be done. Introducing this ammonia should jump start the cycle. Dont do anymore water changes if follow these steps. The reason your gonna remove the carbon filter is because it is suppose to remove ammonia from the water making it safe for fish. This could very welk be why you havent cycled as well. I have always heard and been told to remove the carbon because it does what I stated. If you will follow these steps then it should work out fine. Do not add pure ammonia if your keeping the fish in there. I know you already know this but here is a great article

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

This topic has been argued to death on this forum multiple times. People supporting the removal of carbon state that it will grow a specific bacteria on it that can be problematic to fish.

They state a particular scientific study that was done concerning drinking water for humans that has been ran through exhausted carbon. They specifically tested for concentrations of a single bacterial strain. There was a mall increase of that bacteria found in the drinking water and people tout this as proof that it will grow that bacterial strain and kill your fish.

The only problem with scientific studies is that they are VERY SPECIFIC. They didn't test for anything but that one strain of bacteria which would grow on everything in a fish tank to begin with.

There is another argument for removing exhausted carbon in that people say that it will leech chemicals back into the water. Even seachem states this won't happen.

I cycled my tank with activated carbon. No problems at all. I did a fishless cycle, and it cycled just fine. Also, I have the same carbon in there that has been in there for the past 3 months. Again, no problems, but that's just my experience.

Maybe the reason that the tank isn't cycled yet is that maybe the bacteria do create a bit of nitrite from the ammonia, but it never has a chance to get turned into nitrate, and even if a little bit does it just gets removed in water changes. The solution would just be to take out some of your fish, since the ammonia level is getting so high, so fast. Maybe remove the molly. Then, your ammonia level would stay in a safe range long enough for a significant amount of nitrite to be created, enough to eventually build up some nitrates.

I don't know if that makes any sense at all though...

Ok, someone clear this up for me:

It's been mentioned : "the ammonia gets SO high." (Emphasis added)
What is "high" when she is doing a fish in cycle?
At what level, given that she is using "Prime" should the ammonia be, in order to get the BB started growing?
She's not going to return the fish, and she doesn't have another home for them.
Besides, at this point, the tanks looks great, the fish are very healthy. She is doing a really great job.
I keep coming back to chlorine. I can attest to the fact that her tap water sure smells like a swimming pool. Even with the stuff to condition the water and remove chlorine, could THAT be killing of any beneficial bacteria?
I suggested to her that she do water changes using bottled water. (The .25 a gallon stuff)
I read that the bb are not so much in the water, but in the filter etc. so water changes shouldn't matter. Right? ,
I know she is beginning to get extremely frustrated at this point.
Ok, just reread the Prime. It turns the ammonia to a form that won't hurt the fish, but still feeds bacteria. It also takes care of chlorine.
Luvmyfishies! Keep everything like it is for now. Test the water every couple of days. If ammonia gets hi, like 4, do a 50%. Other than that, let it be. Add a little more prime than it says. Like 2/10 of an ml per gallon. Use filtered water.
Lets see what happens.

The ro di water doesnt have enough minerals. You would end up HAVING to add a bit of tap to get minerals. When doing a fish in cycle, anything above .25 ppm is a problem. So .50 is bad. You could be right about the chlorine though. I would do 90% ro di (.25cents stuff) and 10% tap with a double dose of prime

Ok just tested my water.. my ammonia is at the highest 1.0 ppm. However I have nitrites! I'd say it's about .50? Finally purple. I might also have some nitates, it's not a bright yellow maybe just a little orange in it.

Ok just tested my water.. my ammonia is at the highest 1.0 ppm. However I have nitrites! I'd say it's about .50? Finally purple. I might also have some nitates, it's not a bright yellow maybe just a little orange in it.

Ok, that's good. Do a 60% water change now, then check again in 12 hours.

Back
Top Bottom