Ocean rocks in fresh water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gailmetc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live on the ocean and have collected beautiful ocean rock for quite some time. Had thought about using some in my fresh water tank. Pet store said boil rocks and they should probably be o.k. He uses them all the time. Then I read somewhere else where salt could be an issue--- and bacteria-- and a number of other issues. Read somewhere where it said to pour vinegar over them and if they fizz, don't use them.

I took a dozen or so rocks that I boiled and cooled, then immersed them totally in vinegar.... short while later, little bubbles forming. Pet store owner said his quite often bubble when he puts them in the tank...

I would so like to use them, anything else I can do to ensure they might be safe to use?

Don't use them. Boiling salt related thing can cause harmful fumes. A good rule of thumbs is only to use thing found 3 or more miles from the coast.

Id be wary, I read an article where a number of people died from breathing in the air after boiling the rocks cuz the coral venom turned into vapor and killed them. Especially zoas

Sent via echolocation

I wouldn't worry about the salt. You could always take them out back with a camp stove on a breezy day for safe boiling purposes.

I used live ocean rocks in my 337 gall fresh water tank... what i did was soak them entirely in plain tap water for a few weeks then i used a high power pressure washed to take any salt water coral still on it and to wash the salt off then put it in my tank i was able to cycle my tank with fish and plants they all did fine and now 6 month later I have a breeding pair of Discus.....

In general ocean rock is calcium based and will increase the ph of the tank. Its best not to use it unless youre doing something like african cichlids.

I have to agree with mebbid ocean rocks would only be good with cichlids ,
boiling is risky even out side if you don't get vaporized with toxins , the rocks can explode when they get hot as they are so porous , getting pelted with hot rocks can be painful , even if you get through with boiling the rocks safely they will still contain pockets of salt and calcium , and it can and will leach out ,

Would it be better if OP just soaked them in freshwater for a while? Or would the salt and other minerals not leach out all the way?

Sent via echolocation

Would it be better if OP just soaked them in freshwater for a while? Or would the salt and other minerals not leach out all the way?

Sent via echolocation

The rock is made of the pH changing minerals. typically what is referred to as "Ocean rock" is actually comprised of coral skeletons. It will work to buffer the pH of the water up to around 8.3 ish. Salt is the least of the worries.

Back
Top Bottom