Odds of finding only one snail.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's #8. But wait... is he eating the diatoms that have started to appear on my newly cycled tank? We'll give him a day and see if he either does some good, or Flik (I think that's what I'm going to name him) will use him as a snack.

[Next Day]
He doesn't appear to be accomplishing much... out he comes.

Found #9 in the filter during a water change. He was in the intake tube of the Eclispe filter. From the size of him, it looks like he got in there and grew, because he looked like he was too big to fit over the slots in the cage that guards the intake.

#10 just hanging around on the drift wood... right where I found the 1st one that started this post.

So much for that snail hungry betta.

Small #11 found in stuff cleaned off the bottom of the tank.

I've got a ton of little brown pellets. I don't know if it's dutrius from the six shrimp, or if it's tiny pieces of wood from the underside of my drift wood where all the shrimp seem to be picking at it. But in my attempts to clean some of that up, I found the next snail.

Given the size of the last few, this is starting to look like it might be a never ending story.

Just a little update.

Have NOT seen any snails (live or dead) in the tank for over a week.

I guess the question at this point is if there were any eggs that got deposited that might result in some snails in a few weeks.

For fun, I kept those original two snails I found and have them in a water bottle. I do occational 100% water changes and keep tossing a little bit of fish food in the bottle every once in a while. So far, the snails have laid several batches of eggs that I can see on the sides of the bottle. I thing I can perhaps even see where some earlier eggs may have hatched. I'll try to use this as a guide to get an idea of when any snails that might still be in the tank should have "grown up".

Back
Top Bottom