Order to Add Fish After Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Nearing the end of my fishless cycle of my 29 gallon tank. It's pretty densely planted and has some driftwood and lava rock in it. My questions: how many fish should I get at one time? Which ones first? How long between adding new fish? I have been dosing ammonia up to 4 ppm.

The only things I know is that I should add the Ram last and that the Ram may eat some shrimp. I plan to add the shrimp fairly soon and give them time to breed to ensure I keep some numbers up. Also, I figure with a densely planted tank, most will be okay.

I was thinking the harlequin rasboras first?

Attachments

• 29.gal.php.png
    29.gal.php.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 114
I'd actually wait on the shrimp and ram till the tank matures some. Rams are sensitive to parameter swings which can be common in new tanks. I'd add the ram last.

Shrimp also like to eat the biofilm and other minuscule nutrients that build up when a tank matures.

Rest of your stock is peaceful pick the order you want. I wouldn't add any more than 5 at a time at most.

Caleb

I did plan on adding the Ram last but didn't know that shrimp would appreciate a more mature tank. Five at a time makes sense. Thanks. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long should I wait between adding stock?

How long should I wait between adding stock?

I would do at least a week each time to be safe. Monitor after testing to make sure there isn't an ammonia spike. Except with the shrimp, they have little affect on bioload.

Caleb

Well technically you can add them all at once seeing as you're fishless cycling. Bolivians are pretty tough but I'd still wait a bit. Shrimp will be gone a week after introduction of ram.. may want to rethink there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO you're better off adding most of the fish at once. I've added 20 glowlight tetras to a 20 gallon tank at once without issue. Save the rams, shrimp and hatchetfish for last- a few months after you've added everything else; they're more sensitive.

If you add everything at once and there's a disease issue (I presume you don't have a quarantine tank) then you can treat all at once and get it over with rather than potentially having to treat every new round of fish.

Last edited:
I do have a 10 gallon quarantine. I just wasn't sure what my 29 gallon should have in it before I start using the quarantine.

Well technically you can add them all at once seeing as you're fishless cycling. Bolivians are pretty tough but I'd still wait a bit. Shrimp will be gone a week after introduction of ram.. may want to rethink there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Other non-schooling fish you could recommend that wouldn't kill shrimp?

Add all at once.
This is why you cycled with 4ppm ammonia as it is higher then your full stocked tank will produce.
This method was developed for African cichlid keepers to stock all before territories are developed and for original overstocking.
Hold back on shrimp.
Bolivians are not as sensitive as GBR so get him right in also IMO.
Good deal and congrats on completing fishless cycle!!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom