Planning a new hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sirrance

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a typical 10g rectangular tank that was in trouble. The tanks are located next to the window in the living room of the house. I know that's less than ideal, but there just wasn't anyplace else to put it. An odd kind of algae broke out in that small tank and I just couldn't take care of it naturally and even the pleco wouldn't eat it.

I was gifted a 25g hex tank and stand complete with an under gravel filter plate and other gear. I used half of the water from the 10g tank and its gravel after a cold water rinse, and one zebra danio and two other danio's (don't remember the type) and the pleco to setup and cycle the new hex tank.

Would like to establish the hex tank as a community angel tank. Tank has an overcapacity top rail filter (cheap walmart brand) along with the undergravel filter (air stone powered). There is a heater that does a good job but does not have temp control. Its set at 76 degrees +- 2.

I may want to restart the 10g tank, but I haven't made that decision yet.

Issues and questions:

1) I think the pleco was a mistake based on all the reading I've done and now I don't know what to do about it? suggestions?

2) I read that live plants would be a great addition to oxygenate the water and use the nitrate interrupting the growth of algae.
suggestions? comments?

3) The hex aquarium is 22 in deep and that makes for oddly shaped zones in the tank. Would like angels and some gourami for color and maybe some corys on the bottom. comments? other options I should consider?

Thanks for your time and attention.

If it's a common plecostomus, he's going to get very big and present water quality challenges. If you can catch him, you can probably give him to your local fish store.

Live plants are good for a tank and, when provided with the right environment, can out-compete algae. From what you've described. I'd stick with low-light, easy-to-care-for plants such as cryptocorynes, anubias, java fern, and --especially in a tall hex tank, some jungle vallisneria.

Regarding stocking, angels are a good choice for a tall tank (such as a hex), but I'd be wary of putting in gouramis with them -- maybe a single male honey dwarf, but I'd be concerned the angels might bully him. Also, I'd only get two angels, or maybe three small ones and be prepared to re-home one if a mated pair forms. (BTW, if you get Koi angels, you'll get spectacular color.)

Stocking a hex is tough. Imo a 25 is not big enough for an angel especially a hex with smaller footprint.

Hex tank size correction

My wife and I measured the water column height and not the tank height.

The sides are 10 inches wide an the tank is 26 inches tall and if the math is right that's a 29+ gallon tank. I'll need to add some more water probably, as at a 22 inch high water column that's only 25 gallons of water.

But I think that will address the concern of the space required for angels.

Barliman:

Thanks for the notes on plants. I appreciate it. I noted that Angels are sometimes aggressive when mating and egg laying, but most of the resources suggested that dwarf gourami might do well with the angels.

It was also suggested that larger tetras or maybe platys might also work.

This sounds dumb, but how many sides does it have?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How many sides?

In Geometry a hexagon is the name for a 6 sided figure. A regular hexagon is a 6 sided figure where all sides are the same length.

All hex aquariums are regular hexagons so the math can be done with the length of one side and the height.

I know how many was in a hex, but I've seen odd tanks called hexes and wanted to make sure, it came out to 33g

My apologies to you Toad. I've never seen a "hex" tank that wasn't a regular hexagon base. As to volume, I'm confused. I've gotten different answers from 3 different web sites that claim to offer hex tank volume calculations,

Tanks are not the actual gallons advertised. Should be a 30g hex

Np Sirrance, I've had people refer to hex tanks and it turns out to be three panels in the front but flat sides and backs, just wanted check.

I've always thought hex tanks are neat to play with regarding swimming levels of the stock

An Angelfish will get the size of a woman's medium/large hand man's small hand. You can hold a hand up to the tank spread out or both hands and play swimming Angel and get feel of how squished/or much room it will have.

A young fish growing up in a smaller space /tank will not as likely grow to his full potential as one growing up in a larger tank (with same GOOD water parameters and quality food).

Congrats on getting a new larger tank!

Back
Top Bottom