Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. So how do you know whether its considered high or long? I'm sorry for being a newbie... I don't know a lot of these terms.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not very tall and its pretty big so I'm assuming it would be called a 29 gallon long. Since I have the 20 gallons and then the extra nine wouldn't I be able to keep about two if not at least one? I already have fancies outdoors so I'm definitely not new to goldfish keeping if that's why your not recommending I do that. But anyways back to platies! So would they work in my ten? I have a weak (but new) sponge filter inside of it. I'm hoping for a lot of BB so I don't have to worry about the terrible filter. I made that filter. I was so proud until I learned more about bio-load...

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and are there any products to aid in cycling? I've been at it for over a month and haven't made a whole lot of progress. I've been using different fish foods as an ammonia source. My ammonia is 0.25... Is that good or bad or neither?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some stores sell live nitrifying bacteria. I've never used it since it's illegal here but supposedly it works well.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
Yes. So how do you know whether its considered high or long? I'm sorry for being a newbie... I don't know a lot of these terms.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

The 29g should have the same foot print as a 20g long. 30" long x 12" wide (front to back).
You can do a Google search on tank dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Platies Vs. Mollies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Some stores sell live nitrifying bacteria. I've never used it since it's illegal here but supposedly it works well.
Why is it illegal? Do you live in Texas? If not I think it's safe for me...

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
The 29g should have the same foot print as a 20g long. 30" long x 12" wide (front to back).
You can do a Google search on tank dimensions.

So would that be enough for say, a black Moore? I'm not raising for size so I'm not going to be feeding as often as most people would so I doubt he/she would get to be full size.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
Oh and are there any products to aid in cycling? I've been at it for over a month and haven't made a whole lot of progress. I've been using different fish foods as an ammonia source. My ammonia is 0.25... Is that good or bad or neither?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

What is the highest you were able to get the ammonia using fish food? What are the nitrite and nitrate readings? This is a fishless cycle in the 29, correct? After a month I would think the filter would be converting it to nitrite.
Strong filters are nice and can help with processing nitrogenous waste but are no substitute for WCs (and testing to see how effective the WC amounts are). That being said, WCs are probably more important with weak filtration.
How much BB can and will develop depend on the media and the amount of ammonia present. More ammonia, more BB as long as it has had time to adjust to the ammonia levels and that there is adequate media for them to grow on. Yes, BB also develop on almost every surface in the tank.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
What is the highest you were able to get the ammonia using fish food? What are the nitrite and nitrate readings? This is a fishless cycle in the 29, correct? After a month I would think the filter would be converting it to nitrite.
Strong filters are nice and can help with processing nitrogenous waste but are no substitute for WCs (and testing to see how effective the WC amounts are). That being said, WCs are probably more important with weak filtration.
How much BB can and will develop depend on the media and the amount of ammonia present. More ammonia, more BB as long as it has had time to adjust to the ammonia levels and that there is adequate media for them to grow on. Yes, BB also develop on almost every surface in the tank.

Fishless cycling is happening in the ten. The 29 hasn't even been taken out of the box. I'm not sure whether or not I will return it or keep it yet so that's why. The ten is really the only thing those platies can be in at the moment so would it work? Platies are tropical I believe so ill need to go get a heater. I figured that's the last step though. Also my dwarf hair grass that's in there is growing very slowly could that have anything to do with the fact there's no heater?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Platies Vs. Mollies

And to answer the question about the highest ammonia reading: I've been doing this backwards a bit and so the first test I've ever taken was just two days ago. This had been running for a month so I though I'd test after a while to see if its ready for fish yet. The reading was very low I believe it was 0.25

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Tags
mollie, mollies, platies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com