Platies Vs. Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might do a betta too but I really think the platies are awesome! How much do you think I could sell the Fry once they're grown up? I plan to get blue platies from live aquaria as well as some Malaysian trumpets snails. Do you think anybody on here would give me some Malaysian trumpets snails for free? I already checked with my LFS and they treat all their plants so there's no snails available :(

NatureFish
????

But of course I don't mind paying but if I do pay I'm going to try to get it from LiveAquaria since I can send them back without any hassle if they aren't healthy. After looking through threads it doesn't seem like people like it when you want to send anything back....

NatureFish
????

I wouldn't add a Betta and platies in a ten. If you want a Betta, get some corydoras hasbrous or pygmaesus. If you want platies, please do just platies if you want to sell fry. Only keep one strain and a separate tank for fry to be raised if you are serious. I'm not familiar with blue platies but they seem rather rarer than your red spectrum varieties so probably if they get a good size on them with color continuity and they color up completely with no unusual spotting maybe $1.50 to $2 each at full size depending on the popularity of them at your LFS. Smaller fry sell for much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't add a Betta and platies in a ten. If you want a Betta, get some corydoras hasbrous or pygmaesus. If you want platies, please do just platies if you want to sell fry. Only keep one strain and a separate tank for fry to be raised if you are serious. I'm not familiar with blue platies but they seem rather rarer than your red spectrum varieties so probably if they get a good size on them with color continuity and they color up completely with no unusual spotting maybe $1.50 to $2 each at full size depending on the popularity of them at your LFS. Smaller fry sell for much less.

Ok thank you!

NatureFish
????

I really want to get my platies today but this will be my first tropical fish so I'm kinda nervous. I've only kept cold water fish and that was outdoors...

NatureFish
????

What are your water tests reading?

On October 5th they were the following: pH: 7.7
Ammonia: 0.25
NitrAte: 0ppm

Are these reading good or bad?

NatureFish
????

Test now that was five days ago.

Ok. I'll test right now. I need to top off my tank though its really shallow from all the evaporation. Should I test the water before or after the water change? And when I condition the water should I pour in the stuff in the old water while I put in new water or should I put it in the new water before it goes into the tank?

NatureFish
????

Ok. I'll test right now. I need to top of my tank though its really shallow from all the evaporation. Should I test the water before or after the water change? And when I condition the water should I pour in the stuff in the old water while I put in new water or should I put it in the new water before it goes into the tank?

NatureFish
????

Test after adding water. I use pitchers to fill my tank, I simply put the needed amount of dechlorinator for the amount of water I'm adding in the first pitcher then simply add more water. So I only have to do the stuff once.

I'll be back I need to go out to the hose to do this (my tap water inside has salt).

NatureFish
????

Never mind dinner is here. I'll do that after I eat. Bye.

NatureFish
????

So would that be enough for say, a black Moore? I'm not raising for size so I'm not going to be feeding as often as most people would so I doubt he/she would get to be full size.

NatureFish
[emoji226][emoji226][emoji226][emoji226]

Deliberately trying to stunt your fish is not cool.

This is why Goldfish need ROOM
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Pet Goldfish are NOT disposable and Fancy Goldfish can live 15 years with good care ! That should be your goal if you buy one IMO.

Goldfish deserve a good life :)

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to "Stunt" or starve my fish but at the same time I'm not going to be feeding and feeding it as if it was going to be raised for show or anything. It's going to be a normal sized fish when it reaches adulthood. In other words it will not be a huge fat goldfish because I'm not going to feed it everyday, more like once every 3 or 4 days. I don't even feed my outdoor koi and goldfish at all for the most part because they like to jump out if the water and eat bugs and eat algae (So since the new goldfish will be in my room it won't have that opportunity so i will have to feed him/her) they are all currently about 13 years old and breed every spring (so technically not ALL of them are 13 because some are still fry). I think a 29 gallon is not cruel for a single fancy goldfish... I mean that's what SolidGold and several other goldfish channels suggested for a single goldfish. I could put in some little minnows to keep him company too!

NatureFish
????

A single fancy in a twenty nine is fine. You'll have trouble with minnows being munched on though.

A single fancy in a twenty nine is fine. You'll have trouble with minnows being munched on though.

Even the rosy reds? They get to be pretty big! I've seen some the size of a adult comet goldfish!!!

NatureFish
????

And as for the water test, something came up so when I get back I'll have to do that.

NatureFish
????

A rosy red minnow the size of an adult common?
Rosy reds get MAYBE two inches. An adult common in the correct environment- NOT an aquarium- reaches at least a foot long.

Back
Top Bottom