Poor advice received, need experts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

girlxinxgreen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new here :)
I received a 20l tank for my birthday and was advised at the garden centre that my water was good to go after a couple of days (they tested it). I have since discovered that 2 days isn't nearly long enough and, sad to say, my fish died (a male betta, platy and cory cat - I was also incorrectly advised that my tank was big enough for the three and they would be good tank mates - yes, I now know this was also wrong).

Since then (end of Aug) I invested in a freshwater testing kit (API master) with 25-50% weekly water changes, adding a couple of flakes of fish food every couple of days as I read on another forum that this is how to do a fishless cycle.

My nitrite levels are still high though so I need so help because I think I must be doing something wrong if it's nearly October and it isn't ready for fish yet!

My levels today after a 25% change

pH 7.6+
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2-5
Nitrate 20-40

I should say that I didn't clean out the tank after the fish died as I thought this might help in terms of cycling but should I have done that?

There is a teeny tiny snail that seems to be happy in there - an offspring from a plant I had in. The plant died however :(

Oh and when I finally put fish in I think I will either have a single male betta or 3 male guppies as I read this is pretty much all I can put in there. I'm ok with that - I just don't want them to die or get sick!

I appreciate any and all advice from anyone in the know!

Cycling with food is a long unpredictable process.
You are doing good and actually seem pretty close to done!
Getting the nitrite bacteria going almost always takes longer.

Without fish you don't need to change water.
With nitrites under 5ppm I would not change water.

Hang in there!

Without fish you don't need to change water.
With nitrites under 5ppm I would not change water.

Hang in there!

Thanks! So I don't need to be doing water changes at all? I just wait, keep adding fish flakes and keep testing?

Hello, I'm new here :)
I received a 20l tank for my birthday and was advised at the garden centre that my water was good to go after a couple of days (they tested it). I have since discovered that 2 days isn't nearly long enough and, sad to say, my fish died (a male betta, platy and cory cat - I was also incorrectly advised that my tank was big enough for the three and they would be good tank mates - yes, I now know this was also wrong).

Since then (end of Aug) I invested in a freshwater testing kit (API master) with 25-50% weekly water changes, adding a couple of flakes of fish food every couple of days as I read on another forum that this is how to do a fishless cycle.

My nitrite levels are still high though so I need so help because I think I must be doing something wrong if it's nearly October and it isn't ready for fish yet!

My levels today after a 25% change

pH 7.6+
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2-5
Nitrate 20-40

I should say that I didn't clean out the tank after the fish died as I thought this might help in terms of cycling but should I have done that?

There is a teeny tiny snail that seems to be happy in there - an offspring from a plant I had in. The plant died however :(

Oh and when I finally put fish in I think I will either have a single male betta or 3 male guppies as I read this is pretty much all I can put in there. I'm ok with that - I just don't want them to die or get sick!

I appreciate any and all advice from anyone in the know!

By 20l do you mean 20 gallons long or 20 Liters?

It does look like your almost done with the cycle, hopefully not much longer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By 20l do you mean 20 gallons long or 20 Liters?

It does look like your almost done with the cycle, hopefully not much longer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi :) 20 liters. I hope it's not much longer. I'm excited to get some fish and keep them alive this time!

Thanks again. I'm not adding any pure ammonia. Just fish flakes. Is that ok?

Honestly this works but is impossible to test like when cycling with ammonia.

You have to trust when nitrites are zero that enough BB has grown.
You have no way of adding enough ammonia for the final 24 hour test,since you have established how much to add to get a certain ppm?

So when the nitrites go to zero you just have to change water to lower nitrates and then stock and test daily.
I normally would suggest to stock slow but since you are only going to have
3 fish in total I would just add them to help support the BB you have established.
You may see a spike of ammonia or nitrite which is why I say to test daily.
Once fish are in you should not let ammonia or nitrite go over 1 ppm and with fish you are best at .5 ppm IMO until it zeros itself out.

Thanks again. I'm not adding any pure ammonia. Just fish flakes. Is that ok?
That's fine but if there's an Ace Hardware by you you can go in and get enough ammonia to cycle 50 tanks for about $2.

It a the ace brand one should be on the bottom shelf with the cleaning supplies.

Personally I think it's easier and less messy (and probably cheaper) to use the pure ammonia over fish flakes

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I agree with all above, the easiest and most scientific way to cycle is with pure ammonia. You know exactly where you are starting from, normally about 4ppm, and where you are after 24 hrs, ammonia zero, nitrite zero and a very high nitrate reading. When this is achieved then, following a large water change with conditioned water reducing the nitrate to under 20ppm, you are ready to start stocking the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nearly there!

Hi. My levels today are

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5

Am I good to go or does the Nitrite need to be at 0? This is taking so long but I'm hoping it will all be worth it for my fish to stay alive and healthy!

Thanks!

You need to(should) wait till the nitrites are zero...
It is not unheard of to cycle with fish in the tank and if you did .25 nitrite would be how it would have to go for the fish.
You really are pretty close IMO and being very patient.

You do have patience! I've never done a fish less cycle in 20+ years of fish keeping. Didn't know about the cycle for a good portion of that time though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

New fish!

My nitrite levels were finally at zero this morning so I am now the proud owner of a gorgeous blue male betta! I'm so nervous after my last fish died so I really hope he's going to be ok!

How often would you recommend I test the water? How often should I do partial changes and for how much? How often should I be feeding him and how much? I've read lots of conflicting advice. My tank is 20 liters.

Congrats on cycle and new betta!(y)
Test every couple days for a week or two just to be safe.:angel:
For water changes many just do 50% a week ,but you can test and just change enough to stay safe(around 10-20ppm nitrate).
On a 20 liter I would just work out 50% once a week or 25% two times a week if that gives you good water quality.
Feeding is once a day IMO but here are different opinions.
Don't let excess food sit on bottom syphon it out daily if necessary , replace water and feed less next time.
Make sure you offer proper food for him.
And most of all.....
ENJOY!!:dance::dance::dance:

Back
Top Bottom