possible cycling issues and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baldegale

Aquarium Advice Regular
so i just started a 10 gal about 10 days ago. IMG_1644.jpg this was it when i started it (mopani driftwood) and i was only ablw to test the pH at the time (which is 7.1-7.3) and that has stabilized. the water has started to turn brownish due to tannins which was expected and im fine with, but i havent done anything to cycle, havent added anything into the tank n what not, but checking ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates everything is 0 across the board (so i think) (im gonna add pictures but its not letting me add more than one right now) the nitrates might be like 1-2ppm. and then on the mopani i started getting this slime like algae (which ill also post a picture of later) and ive never seen anything like it before! should i just clean it off?

so i just started a 10 gal about 10 days ago. View attachment 309421 this was it when i started it (mopani driftwood) and i was only ablw to test the pH at the time (which is 7.1-7.3) and that has stabilized. the water has started to turn brownish due to tannins which was expected and im fine with, but i havent done anything to cycle, havent added anything into the tank n what not, but checking ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates everything is 0 across the board (so i think) (im gonna add pictures but its not letting me add more than one right now) the nitrates might be like 1-2ppm. and then on the mopani i started getting this slime like algae (which ill also post a picture of later) and ive never seen anything like it before! should i just clean it off?

i also, 10 days ago i added a dechlorinator

for your tank to cycle you need to add something that will end up producing ammonia. that is the start of the cycle. things like 1 fish to produce waste, using a dead shrimp you would normally eat or even using liquid ammonia solutions to get the cycle started. bacteria will build up and will then convert ammonia into nitrites. then more bacteria will convert nitrites into nitrates. this is the reason your readings are 0. nothing is there to be converted or tested. not really sure how you are getting a reading on nitrates already (maybe there are already nitrates in your tap water). for the stuff on your wood most would will form this slimmy whitish clear stuff on it. after awhile it will go away. i usually rub the wood with my fingers when i go to do a water change and try to siphon as much out as i can. pictures will help to make sure that is really what you have going on with your wood.

for your tank to cycle you need to add something that will end up producing ammonia. that is the start of the cycle. things like 1 fish to produce waste, using a dead shrimp you would normally eat or even using liquid ammonia solutions to get the cycle started. bacteria will build up and will then convert ammonia into nitrites. then more bacteria will convert nitrites into nitrates. this is the reason your readings are 0. nothing is there to be converted or tested. not really sure how you are getting a reading on nitrates already (maybe there are already nitrates in your tap water). for the stuff on your wood most would will form this slimmy whitish clear stuff on it. after awhile it will go away. i usually rub the wood with my fingers when i go to do a water change and try to siphon as much out as i can. pictures will help to make sure that is really what you have going on with your wood.

i got 3 neon tetras for the 10 gal to see how things go, (part of my full stocking anyways) and as for the pictures, i still cant post any for some reason.

i got 3 neon tetras for the 10 gal to see how things go, (part of my full stocking anyways) and as for the pictures, i still cant post any for some reason.

Try posting your pics to a site like imgur.com and then using one of the links to the pic they give. With a fish in cycle make sure to keep up on testing and doing small water changes of 20-30% every other day until the tank is cycled.

Try posting your pics to a site like imgur.com and then using one of the links to the pic they give. With a fish in cycle make sure to keep up on testing and doing small water changes of 20-30% every other day until the tank is cycled.

gotcha, water changes should be fairly easy. what should i be looking for in testing?

you want to watch how high the numbers are getting. ammonia and nitrites you want less than 1.0 and 2.0 will be lethal to your fish. once it reads between .50-1.0 do a water change to bring it back down. nitrates you want between 10-20. anything above is bad. from the pic of your wood it looks to me like typical driftwood cycling. like i said earlier rub of what you can but you dont have to get it all. it will go away over time. you will want to watch your ph too but maybe not as often as your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate numbers. adding wood and certain rocks can cause you to have ph swings. wood will drop the ph and some rocks will raise the ph.

you want to watch how high the numbers are getting. ammonia and nitrites you want less than 1.0 and 2.0 will be lethal to your fish. once it reads between .50-1.0 do a water change to bring it back down. nitrates you want between 10-20. anything above is bad. from the pic of your wood it looks to me like typical driftwood cycling. like i said earlier rub of what you can but you dont have to get it all. it will go away over time. you will want to watch your ph too but maybe not as often as your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate numbers. adding wood and certain rocks can cause you to have ph swings. wood will drop the ph and some rocks will raise the ph.

been checking pH. it stays at a 7.2-7.4. im drip acclimating the neons right now, my local pet store (not petsmart or petco) has their pH at 7.4. should i check the ammonia and nitrites daily?

been checking pH. it stays at a 7.2-7.4. im drip acclimating the neons right now, my local pet store (not petsmart or petco) has their pH at 7.4. should i check the ammonia and nitrites daily?

you can if you wish but i really dont think it will be necessary. 3 little fish i dont think will produce enough waste to skyrocket your ammonia levels that fast.

you can if you wish but i really dont think it will be necessary. 3 little fish i dont think will produce enough waste to skyrocket your ammonia levels that fast.

i didn’t realize how tiny they were until i just got them in the tank. aquadvisor says i can only have 6 neons and 1 female betta, but i feel like i could have 10 in there. i want some cardinal tetras too

i didn’t realize how tiny they were until i just got them in the tank. aquadvisor says i can only have 6 neons and 1 female betta, but i feel like i could have 10 in there. i want some cardinal tetras too

even though this isnt set in stone and most people dont go by it to much anymore, remember the rule of 1 inch of fish(fully grown length not what you bought it at) per gallon. for the most part the rule works but at times there are some exceptions. a 10 gallon tank it works well as long as you arent thinking you can put a 10" long fish in there :p neons get to around 1" or just above and your betta will probably be 3-4 inches for the larger bettas. that works out right to 6 neons and 1 betta. dont overpopulate your tank just because you want more fish or more variety.

even though this isnt set in stone and most people dont go by it to much anymore, remember the rule of 1 inch of fish(fully grown length not what you bought it at) per gallon. for the most part the rule works but at times there are some exceptions. a 10 gallon tank it works well as long as you arent thinking you can put a 10" long fish in there :p neons get to around 1" or just above and your betta will probably be 3-4 inches for the larger bettas. that works out right to 6 neons and 1 betta. dont overpopulate your tank just because you want more fish or more variety.

i was thinking of doing 1 female betta, 3 neon tetras, 3 cardinal tetras, and 1 algae eater of sorts

after 3 days i think i still have 0 ammonia? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LKcmGKEW5hS-d4lKL975F-ab45a4FbuO
idk im bad at reading these things! ive even been overfeeding to try and create more waste but it seems like its doing nothing

Back
Top Bottom