Power cut during fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuzkots

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help! I woke up this morning to find out there was a power cut during the night. I I have no idea how many hours we were without power for. I'm half way through a fishless cycle on a 55g. What are the chances I lost all the beneficial bacteria due to no flow through the filter?

Help! I woke up this morning to find out there was a power cut during the night. I I have no idea how many hours we were without power for. I'm half way through a fishless cycle on a 55g. What are the chances I lost all the beneficial bacteria due to no flow through the filter?

Was your biological media submerged? If it was submerged it'll be fine. If it was out of the water it's dead

Here are my readings from the last 3 days (just before redosing ammonia to 2ppm):

13/2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites off the chart (~10ppm?)
Nitrates 30ppm
pH 7.0

14/2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrates 60ppm
pH 7.0

15/2 (tonight after power cut last night)
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrates 70ppm
pH 7.0

So it looks like ammonia is still converting to 0 and there is a slight rise in nitrates, which would mean the cycle is still going, right?

Was your biological media submerged? If it was submerged it'll be fine. If it was out of the water it's dead

Yes it was submerged (providing the water stays in the canister if the power goes off?)

Back
Top Bottom