power out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've for a 40 gal breeder with 13 little fish. Power is out and I have to go to work for 8 hrs. I had to unplug filter because it doesn't always reprime on its own and don't want if to burn up of power comes on when I'm at work.....will my fish be ok?!

I guess it depends on how sensitive the fish are. A friend of mine had clown loaches that died in about 8 hours of no filtration/gas exchange.

Another factor could be the temperature dropping. Are they in a cold spot, or relatively warm enough that it won't drop the temperature too quickly.

In the future, you might want to look into the battery operated air stones. They sell them for about $5 at Foster and Smiths. That would atleast address the oxygen problem.

If you have any clay pots you can put those into your tank, it will help oxygenate your water for a short time.

You can go to walmart or any other place with a fishing section and get a battery powered air pump, they are used to aerate a bait bucket.

It'll probably be fine, though, I've left my tanks unplugged for 12+ hours without any issue, it just depends on the stocking level.

Back
Top Bottom