Problem Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The water in my tank gets cloudy within 2-3 days of a filter change or even a complete water change. What am I doing wrong?

By filter change and complete water change what exactly do you mean?

You shouldn't be doing a total water change. Depending on parameters a 20%, 50% should be fine. Also.... You shouldn't be changing your filters out regularly. You wanna clean them in old tank water during your water change. I don't change my filters until there literally falling apart. You may be causing more harm then good. Could be a bacteria bloom or you could be starting a mini cycle.

Some more specific information please.

The Con

Thanks for the information. I am truly new to this. More specific information is as follows:

I purchased the tank about 3 years ago (used), to replace a 29 gal. I started the aquarium, added gravel and fish from 29 gal tank. Looked good for over 1.5 years. One day my son decided to empty and clean tank so he could buy new fish. After cleaning tank, he bought and added fish. Within a week the water turned cloudy and the new fish died one at a time. Since then we have been changing the filter frequently and once a month or every-other month doing a complete water change. I have 2 pocostumas and 1 catfish/shark looking type of fish that survived the 29 gal tank and all this cloudy/murky water left. I have the Magnum 350 filter for this tank. Not sure what else to add.

Thanks for the information. I am truly new to this. More specific information is as follows:

I purchased the tank about 3 years ago (used), to replace a 29 gal. I started the aquarium, added gravel and fish from 29 gal tank. Looked good for over 1.5 years. One day my son decided to empty and clean tank so he could buy new fish. After cleaning tank, he bought and added fish. Within a week the water turned cloudy and the new fish died one at a time. Since then we have been changing the filter frequently and once a month or every-other month doing a complete water change. I have 2 pocostumas and 1 catfish/shark looking type of fish that survived the 29 gal tank and all this cloudy/murky water left. I have the Magnum 350 filter for this tank. Not sure what else to add.

You should do weekly water changes, 25% or so. Are you checking your water parameters? Also there really is NO need to replace the filters IMHO, wait until there falling apart in your hands. Just swish them in old tank water and replace. By changing your filters your getting rid of most of your BB (beneficial Bacteria)

Hope this helps

Do I need to change out the carbon when I clean the filter?

You don't really "need" carbon unless removing meds or your trying to clear up your water. Carbon has a short life so IMO only use it when needed. Instead add some filter floss/poly floss/polishing pads etc... Much more effective then carbon. I don't use carbon in any of my filters.

Back
Top Bottom