Problematic 10G (possible new tank?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew0331

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I'm very thankful for this site. I just got a 10G and put 3 swordtails in it (mistake number 1). Apparently they are very messy for a ten gallon. I also got 2 cardinal tetras with hopes of bringing home a few friends (neons) for them. If I was to do anything, I'd like a small desk tank with my tetras (and possible shrimp). What size would be a minimum size for 2 cards and 4 neons. Would I be able to add shrimp with them? Ideas? Help. Thank you! :fish2:

Hi there,

Whether neon or cardinal tetras can fit in a ten gallon is debateable. Personally, I don't think they could, but it's possible for neons.

I think a 20 Gallon will be a comfortable fit for both cardinals and neons together in the same tank.

Hmmm, I was afraid of that. I will have to check that out, but I'm on a very low budget. I want change my 10 gallon into a place for my swords to chill. They are very active and don't seem to mind the squeeze. What if I just got a new home for the 2 cardinals? Do you think that my 10G would be okay for my swords if I take really good care of its levels? Ugh :( I want my fish to be happy!

Hmmm, I was afraid of that. I will have to check that out, but I'm on a very low budget. I want change my 10 gallon into a place for my swords to chill. They are very active and don't seem to mind the squeeze. What if I just got a new home for the 2 cardinals? Do you think that my 10G would be okay for my swords if I take really good care of its levels? Ugh :( I want my fish to be happy!

Three Swords alone are already overstocked for a 10 gal tank, I'm afraid. You've already witnessed that they are messy and active so they would appreciate more space. If you really want to keep them I'd upgrade the tank. If not, return the Swords and keep the Cardinals and up their number to 6 (they need schools to be happy). I'm not sure how active Cardinals are either; I usually recommend a 20 gal minimum for Neons as they are very active fish and need the horizontal swim space so if Cardinals are the same (and they probably are) then they may not be fully happy in a 10 gal either although they would be a better choice than 3 Swords.

Honestly I'd return your fish and research proper fish for a 10 gal; there are many other choices that you may like even more than what you have now.

Also was the tank properly cycled before you bought it? (letting it "run" for a few days isn't cycling regardless of what the pet/fish stores said). If you keep these fish you're going to be battling high levels of ammonia for quite a while. There are two links in my signature: new empty tank (fishless cycling) and new tank with fish (fish-in cycling). Give both a read and see which you'd rather do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Back
Top Bottom