python question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boojumsnark25

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, i bought a python a while go for my 29 gallon tank I had at the time. I set it all up, and got all ready to use it. I live in the basement of my house, so I had to attach a section of garden hose to the python (mine is 25 feet) to get it up the stairs. Well, to make a long story short, it worked for the first couple times. Then, it stopped working. I would turn on the valve and there would be no suction whatsoever. Frustrated, I tossed it in my closet and went back to a normal siphon. Now, my 55 gallon tank is just about done with its cycle, which means water change time. I would like to use the python if possible. My only theory is that it doesn't have enough lift to get it up the stairs. Has anyone else had this problem?

You should have suction since the water would be draining lower than the tank. Is there anything stuck in the hose that could have it clogged?

Fishyfanatic said:
You should have suction since the water would be draining lower than the tank. Is there anything stuck in the hose that could have it clogged?

Actually, the drainage happens very much above my tank. There are no accessible faucets in my basement, so I have to use the one outside of my house...so the water has to travel up the stairs.

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought the sink was in the basement and the tank was upstairs.

If your hose is full of water instead of air when you start the suction I believe you will have better luck so you could add a little to fill the hose before you start. You also need tight connections to help avoid losing your prime so you could check the washers on your hose. Good Luck

Does your basement have a sump pump? If you could get it to start draining in the conventional way you could drain right into the sump, then haul the end upstairs to refill. Still better than hauling buckets.

neilanh makes a great point that any low drain access is definitely the easiest route for drainage if one is available, perhaps a laundry room floor drain or outside access door ...Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom