question about fishless cycling my 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'll start the cycle just as soon as my filters are ready. Quick question.
I want to try the fishless method on my 75 gallon. After doing some reading I thought I would try the shrimp method, but how many shrimp should I use?
Also, do I leave the lights of the aquarium off during the cycle period?(My thought would be yes, as to not promote algea growth).
What about adding salt to the water, should I do this during the cycle period?How much should I use?

I plan on keeping angels in my aquarium and mastering that before I move on to Discus. I just want to do this right, so I have alot of questions. Thanks for your help

You can start with 1 or 2 shrimp in there and see what happens. You'll have to test you water frequently though, to see if they are making progress in cycling the tank. I would advice you to get a liquid test kit with the basic tests you need.
I wouldn't use salt, it does nothing for the cycling process.
And good idea to keep the lights of if you're not going to grow any plants.

Good luck and welcome to AA!!!
:wave:

A word for future reference. If you are doing this to prepare yourself for discus later and plan on an angel now, it is best not to have the two species in the same tank. I've heard that Angels carry a bacteria that discus are not immuned to...and discus are difficult as it is.

Another method of fishless cycling is using flake or frozen fish food.

Still, the best way to cycle your tank is by adding pure ammonia daily. This will go faster then the shrimp method if I'm not mistaking, and it's easier because you know exactly how much ammonia to dose.

Here is a great article about cycling with ammonia. If you go with shrimp, I would add 3 and hold my nose!!
I plan on keeping angels in my aquarium and mastering that before I move on to Discus. I just want to do this right, so I have alot of questions. Thanks for your help
Certainly take it slow. You want your water parameters perfect before introducing either fish. BrianNY is on vacation, but he has wonderful practical advice for any discuss keepers, or those planning on keeping discuss. He also has experience with angels and discuss together. Drop him a PM and he'll get back to you in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom