Question about replacing filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katana

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know you aren't suppose too, but I think I might need too.

I started a tank up that has substrate meant for plants. So it acts a lot like creek mud would. You touch it, it stirs up little dirt clouds.

Well the filter cartridge that started with this new substrate is packed with mud and junk from the dirt. It's been running for a few months now.

It isn't cleaning the water much any more even when I try to clean it off. It's just so packed I can't get all the mud out.

So I put a new cartridge in front of the old one to transfer the bacteria over. How long do I need to leave them like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Until you can see that it is covered with bacteria. I also highly suggest testing your water once you take the old one out to make sure it's actually doing what you want it to :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Okay thanks very much! I haven't ever changed it before so I want to make sure I don't mess everything up. My tank is doing so well I'd like to keep it that way :)

Have you taken it out and rinsed it in old tank water? You really shouldn't replace it until it's falling apart.

If you feel that you really need to replace it i would suggest running a new cartridge filter crammed in the filter as well for a few weeks.

Another option is to cut up the old cartridge and put it in a filter media bag and keep that in the filter for a few weeks.

I did 'clean' the old one in a bucket of tank water a few times. It is just packed with mud and grime and I can't get all of it out :(
It was making the tank cloudy because it was just spitting out dirt filled water.
I do still have it in the filter with a new cartridge in with it, smashed together.
I do appreciate your help, guys, since I haven't changed them before. I don't want to ruin my colony and throw my tank out of whack.

When I set the tank up I let it cycle with my mollies (the previous tank cracked and I had to put the fish in the new tank immediately). With me adding new plants and drift wood, the dirt would stir up. So that's why this filter is so messy because it started with new dirt and also endured me setting the tank up.
Everything was fake before but when I got the new tank I wanted to do everything right.

Back
Top Bottom