Questions about cycling and water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All,

We can definitely rule out farms and fertilizers. We don't fertilize and we don't have neighbors that close by.
So, given that we have a known septic issue, my gut is that this is the issue =/

Here's my current issue:
1. If I choose to filter out nitrates, is there a way to do so without completely losing the hardness of the water?
2. I could also opt to use a family member's water for water changes. The only problem is that their water tends to be on the softer side. GH of 75 ppm, (compared to the 200 ppm of our nitrate-laden well water) and a KH of 80 ppm.

My understanding is that platies tend to prefer harder/alkaline water; I deliberately picked out these fish knowing that my well water was hard. If I choose to use my family member's water, is there a simple way to increase the KH and GH? Or, would removing the nitrates from my well water be easier?

In search of the perfect tank water...
Thanks for all the help,
Michelle

It is not easy to remove nitrates.

If you want to make your water harder you can add any number of commercial products that do this. Seachem equalibrium is one that pops to mind but there are lots. Alternatively, you could use Epsom salts which will increase the magnesium content.

I would not try to mess with KH and pH unless theirs is way too low. Give the water 24 hours to sit before doing the pH test.

Back
Top Bottom