Questions about Fishless Cycling and Eventual Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RunSMK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good afternoon all. I have been doing a fishless cycle now for about 2 and a half weeks. Thanks to the "almost complete guide" from Eric Ogilive on this board, I am now in what i think is the "downhill" of the cycle. The tank has been reducing Ammonia to 1 PPM every few days after being dosed to 4. The other day nitrites showed up at 2 PPM. Going to check them again today and start checking for nitrates and prepare myself for a 50-60% water change when they are off the chart. While this is all new to me, a few questions have come up. I would appreciate anyone's help with any of these.

1. I have driftwood that has been in the tank since the beginning, it is has been getting more and more covered with parts of a white fuzz and other brown green algae looking material. From what I have researched this could be normal, just want to make sure. Should I leave it and the tank will clean it when it has inhabitants or should it be removed by hand?

2. I have noticed the fake plants that I have and the filter tube have become quite dirty with some brown residue. Is it safe to remove them and rinse them off in tank water? Or should I wait until the cycle is complete? I have not washed the filter at all. I am assuming that is something I should do in tank water, but again don't want to mess with the cycle at all.

3. I have been monitoring my pH and have been consistently at 7.8. I am concerned that the pH may be too high for the fish i am looking at.(Listed Below) I am assuming I may see some pH drop with the arrival of Nitrite/ate. Thoughts?

4. Finally, when the tank is complete what fish should be added first. I don't want to fully stock right away, but not sure about how many and which fish should go first. These are the fish I am thinking of stocking -

8 Neon Tetra
6 Harlequin Rasbora
4-5 Cory Cats(thinking sterbai)
Perhaps 1 Dwarf Gourami

According to AqAdvisor that would give me a stock level of 85% when done. Also has a pH recommendation of 6-7.5, which i am outside of.

Tank details - 20 Gallon Wide, Aqua Clear 50. sand substrate.

Thank you for any input. I came into this 2 months ago, not knowing anything and have gained a decent amount of knowledge by reading through the forums here.

Back
Top Bottom