questions about lighting and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just looked at my lights and the only thing on them says 55W 10000

I have no idea what these numbers mean in regards to a fish tank.

My goal is to put live plants into my 40G tank, but I dont know what kind of plants to get with this lighting.

They are 10000k, at 55 watts. What do the ends look like? Maybe they are Power Compact or T5HO, can you get a picture? From my understanding you want 6700k for freshwater plants, a 10000k will work in combination if you can.

At the moment theyve been on for several hours and quite hot, cant get a pic.

The ends have 4 metal prongs that attach to the plug which goes to the ballast.
There are 2 lights which both look like elongated U 's

Is this too much lighting?

EDIT:
What does power compact/T5HO mean?
And what do you mean work in combination? Combination with what?

Ok, sounds like a power compact. That is what I just recently bought used. Power compact is the type of light fixture, do some reading much easier. If you only have 1 set of bulbs, Im not 100% sure, but I think that is to powerfull a light for freshwater plants. Go buy a 6700k bulb. I am not the one to explain this out step by step, I read around here and googled around and figured it all out within a half hour.

Those are power compacts for sure. How long is your 40 gallon tank? Do you have a light fixture or a retrofit kit?

The tank is a quarter round. 18" tall just about 24" on each 'side' that makes the corner.

I got the lights from someone. Its a plain wooden light box. The lights are inside and the ballast is on the back.

Ok. So the previous owner put a 2x 55W power compact retrofit kit into a box that they built. You're good to go for low light plants (anubias, java fern, java moss, cryptocorynes, etc.), as well as some stuff like vals, hygrophila, sword plants. That is not, by any means, an exhaustive list. LOL. There are lots of plants you can keep with that lighting, just not the really demanding stuff.

As long as its taken us to get there, that is exactly what I was looking for! Low-light plants. Cant wait til pay-day! Until then, time to start research

Thank you much!

This is the most recent picture I have. I want to do a lot more in the way of decor. I want a nice piece of driftwood for the back corner and much more plant life. All the plants in there are fake at the moment. I want to start adding live.

Attachments

• new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 61
Nice, looks like you have a 36 corner bowfront. That's a nice looking tank and it will be even better once you get it going the way you want.

Not exactly the kind of tank I would have preferred but money talks and free walks, so to speak lol. I work delivery for Lowes and a customer gave it to me as a tip. Tank, stand canister filter and lights.

A LFS has a 90G wavefront for sale, but its $300 and I want to focus on getting this tank flourishing before I consider a new, larger one

Thanks for the compliment!

When I got my first lfs job, the 95 gal wave front was still available at lfs's. I don't believe it is manufactured anymore. In 2007-2008, pricing on this tank plus stand was close to $1500 new, no accessories included. Normally I would turn my nose up at a 90-ish gal tank for $300, but this isn't one you can just find anywhere anymore. A wave front tank isn't for everyone, but if you really like it, you may want to throw down an offer...

Not exactly the kind of tank I would have preferred but money talks and free walks, so to speak lol. I work delivery for Lowes and a customer gave it to me as a tip. Tank, stand canister filter and lights.

A LFS has a 90G wavefront for sale, but its $300 and I want to focus on getting this tank flourishing before I consider a new, larger one

Thanks for the compliment!

That's an amazing tip...

I would get the tank if i could. But on one hand I wouldnt be able to set it up for a while. Start-up is the worst part of fish keeping IMO. Between filters, substrate, decor etc it would be too much for the near future.

And on the other hand the fiance says i cant just keep an empty tank in the den. Sooo maybe next time lol

Back
Top Bottom