quick cycle question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Certainly an improvement. Looks to be where you should be...test in the am if you can and see how much of the ammonia got gobbled up. My tank was eating 4ppm overnight.

Wow no way! That's amazing! I hope my tank can do the same lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Ok so it's 5:20am last test was last night at 8-830pm. My results are:

Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

Looks like my tank is healthy again ;-) the nitrites has been high since Monday night!

Sergiotorr said:
Ok so it's 5:20am last test was last night at 8-830pm. My results are:

Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

Looks like my tank is healthy again ;-) the nitrites has been high since Monday night!

Back on track. Good for u. Looks like your getting close

ok so its 12pm now and my water test results are:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 5-2pmm some were in there

now should i just wait for the nitrite to drop? or should i add one table spoon of ammonia to keep feeding the BB?

Yep get it back up to at least 2ppm. Youre doing perfect. Hopefully a few more days and those trates will show up. :)

ok so around 1pm i added ammonia and it went up to 2-3ppm. its 7pm now and i have .25ppm of ammonia and 5ppm of nitrite still lol should i add ammonia so that the BB eat it up over night??? when should i expect nitrites to drop? they have been at 5ppm for 3-4 days now :(

Hello all. I just started a fishless cycle in a 55 gallon rectangle regular tank. I have been scouring all past posts on the subject as not to ask redundant questions. But I cannot find the answer to this question. Am I supposed to have my carbon filters in my HOB whilst cycling with added ammonia? I love this site and that all of you are respectful and nice to everyone. Bravo for that!
W/r
Wayne the Deckape

ok so around 1pm i added ammonia and it went up to 2-3ppm. its 7pm now and i have .25ppm of ammonia and 5ppm of nitrite still lol should i add ammonia so that the BB eat it up over night??? when should i expect nitrites to drop? they have been at 5ppm for 3-4 days now :(

I guess it won't hurt adding ammonia in since the BB gobbled the last dose up in a day. Your nitrites might be starting to decrease any day now...you'll see.

Honestly the first thing I learned on this site was not to use carbon at all unless your going to use meds...I have a 405 fluval filter and only have sponges and ceramic rings in the canister! Save your from things you really don't need! I forgot to add if your not going to add carbon you'll need to do water changes weekly to keep the fishy smell away lol

+1 to daileene. Once you start to see nitrItes you're half way to cycling your tank, but if you don't keep the ammonia eating bacteria fed they will die off and stall your cycle. When I cycled my 60 gallon tank I would add 1-2 ml of ammonia after the first drop to make sure there was enough ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. You'll find that your nitrItes may stay high for a while without any change and then BAMMM!!!. It'll drop to zero overnight. Once that happens you'll just need to perform a large water change to remove any excess ammonia and the nitrAtes that are now present and you'll be ready to add fish.

Cool thanks guys I'll def add a little more ammonia and let you guys know when the nitrites drop ;-)

Thanks and sorry for putting my question in this thread.

Another water test lol

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5ppm

I just want it to drop already lol!!!!

congrats on not "ruining" your cycle...i've had off the chart nitrite readings for almost 10 days until this morning on my 125, finally showed some reduction. i know how you feel waiting for them to go down but every responsible fishkeeper does it at some point...good luck!!

just1morefish said:
congrats on not "ruining" your cycle...i've had off the chart nitrite readings for almost 10 days until this morning on my 125, finally showed some reduction. i know how you feel waiting for them to go down but every responsible fishkeeper does it at some point...good luck!!

Oh wow I thought it would only take 3-4 days for nitrite reading to drop lol! But I'll be patient as you say....what are your big plans for your 125 gallon tank?

usually takes twice as long for the nitrite eating bacteria to colonize as the ammonia eating bacteria, at least thats been my experience...i'm sure a certain someone will chime in about how i'm wrong though, lmao!! anyway, i've got a crowded 55 malawi mbuna tank now and they're all waiting for the 125 to finish up, looks like we're on the downhill slope now...seems like its taken forever though really not that long...would toss up some pics but haven't figured out how to do that yet...good luck with finishing up the cycle!!!

Back
Top Bottom