Quick Fish-In Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! About 2 weeks ago, I picked up an API Master Kit (FW) and have been doing daily water tests while waiting for my tank to get established. Everything was set up in early January, and fish were added in twos (2 a week for 4 weeks) about 2 weeks after it was up and running.

I'm doing a "Fish-In" cycle, since I had already added fish before I knew of the cycling process (Oops! DUH! lol). There are 8 fish currently in the tank, and all seem to be doing well.

Anyways, my water test readings have been coming out steadily, reading:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25 to 0.5 ppm
NitrItes: 0
NitrAtes: 10 to 20 ppm

Ammonia will vary from 0.25 to 0.5ppm, and doesn't seem to drop on its own. I've been doing daily 50% water changes (15g per change), adding a tbsp of aquarium salt and 2.5ml water conditioner to each 5 gallons I add.

My question is, basically, is something wrong? Is my cycle "stuck"? It's just odd to me that my levels are reading this steady for this long, yet the ammonia levels don't seem to be going down! ... Unless I'm cycled and don't know it, or I'm just way too impatient? :facepalm:

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!

Hi! Your not cycled yet! As you have stocked slowly, your ammonia levels likewise are rising slowly. You will soon see your amm start to drop & your nitrite levels start to increase. Good job on the water changes & daily tests! Fish-in cycling can take awhile- without sufficient fish to produce ammonia in the beginning, you are just getting into the swing of your cycle now and it can take as long as 6-8wks to complete (sometimes longer). Have some patience, do not add anymore fish until your cycle is complete, and keep up the good work!!! Dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

Alright cool, thanks for the advice jlk! I figured I was probably just too impatient, but wanted to make sure that was the case and I wasn't doing anything wrong :) I will continue on with the 15 gallon water changes to keep the ammonia low, and keep testing the levels daily so I can hopefully see the improvement.

I've been contemplating doing back to back (well, probably about 8 hours apart (before & after work)) 50% water changes to turn over 100% of the water, but wasn't sure if it was necessary or not ... Would I benefit from that at all, or should I just continue with the 50% changes that I'm doing now and keep monitoring? Thanks again!

I think your doing a job so far! Obviously, if you see your amm/nitrite levels start to increase above .5, you can do a water change in the am & 1 in the pm. Do two 50% changes effectively works out to be the equivalent of one 75% change. If you notice your fish are seeming stressed by their water (gasping at surface, rapid gill movement, flashing, loss of appetite, etc), you def want to consider upping your water changes to keep them healthy.

Do you have access to cycled media (friend, lfs, etc)? This will help speed things up alot! If you dont, alot of members have had success cycling using 'active' filters from Angelsplus. Your tank will still cycle without an seeded media, so this will be up to you to decide. If you choose to buy a seeded filter, make sure you choose a filter labeled 'active' or you will be just getting a plain, new filter. Good luck & keep up the good work! :)

Sponge Filters for aquariums

you are doing fine. I have been doing a fish in cycle on my 20 gallon since Christmas. slowly, slowly... I see nitrites every once in a while benn they are usually gone with the next water change. it is a slow process... plus I have lots of fish in there so maybe it is slowing things down. but needless to say - you are doing just fine. hang in there. it is going to take a while.
one thing you might want to do is test your tap water. mine tests at .5 ammonia so doing a pwc with that is not going to lower my ammonia any lower than the .5ppm. also it is a good idea to know what your tap is as far as nitrites and nitrates, etc

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom