Quick help: total noob question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Doing a 50% water change. Can I leave the fish in? Hook the siphon to sink and pump water into aquarium as I add the dechlorinator? Clearly I should not have an aquarium I realize that. :)

If the fish are new and stressed I'd hold off on a water change for a few days. Keep the lights out as let them settle in.

Fishmom, do you know how to cycle a tank? Did you test the tank, and if so what are the parameters? We need to know because if the parameters are bad then you need to do a water change. And yes, the fish should stay in. I don't know where else they should go.

Total noob. Yes tested tank. Fish is hanging out at the top of the tank. Ph 8.4; nitrate/nitrate 0; ammonia .25.

Someone (a few people) suggested that I do a 50% change, so I did.

I ended up using a 3 gallon bucket. With a million trips to the aquarium. But it's done. I just wasn't sure if it was safe to add chlorinated water directly to the tank while simultaneously adding dechlorinator to it. So I went the bucket route to be sure. I'm an idiot but I've learned a lot in the past few days.

I'm not sure if my fish is hiding for safety behind the filter or being poisoned to death. Either way this is a total PITA. I admire you all that have been doing this for years.

Have you heard of a python water changer? That could help. Your parameters look fine, and that water change wasn't completely necessary (hate to tell you :( ). Your fish probably isn't being poisoned, what kind is it?

I just really even hate to say. I know there's a great big giant virtual face palm coming my way. It's a black ghost knife fish for my kid who's had his heart set on the fish and there's just no changing his mind. I know I'm out of my league, but I am trying. I know it needs a larger tank etc. right now he's about 1.5" long and it looks like odds of survival are extremely low. BUT if he does make - he's a hell of a fish!

A 50% water change is perfectly safe for fish and is MUCH more preferrable than allowing the fish to sit in toxic water. What I do for water changes is drain half, add a full tanks dose of dechlorinator, and then fill with temperature matched water straight from the faucet.

The dechlorinator works instantly and won't cause any issues when adding water straight to the tank.

You are also going to need to keep a close eye on ammonia and do a 50% water change every time you hit .5ppm ammonia. This could end up being every 1 - 2 days so it can he a lot of work.

Lastly, yes the ghost needs a much bigger home. But they do grow slow (I'm not advocating your tank as a good home) and your 40g will work for a short time. I would start shopping around for a bigger tank within 6 months or so. Always good to have an extra tank :)

I have the Aqueon siphon and I take out 50%, try to match the temp out if the faucet and re-fill the tank. I add the de-chlor( I use Prime) after and never have any issues.
The only thing I would recommend, don't add dechlor directly where fish are swimming. What I mean is if there are fish at the top, don't put it near them. I did and killed 3 fish!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom