Re-do of my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
For some reason the coral ornament I had in my tank I really started to not like at all, and I absolutely love my broken barrel ornament, always have and probably always will! First picture is the before and second is what it looks like now with both of my platy's somewhat in view :)

Attachments

• image-810088192.jpg
    image-810088192.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3512146462.jpg
    image-3512146462.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 75
I'm already to the point of sitting in front of my tank and just being so amazed by watching my fish! After moving my broken barrel ornament, my red wag platy has really enjoyed swimming through the holes of it for some reason :) I'm so amazed watching her swim through it and peaking through the hole like she is in this picture! It's kinda hard to see but you can see her peaking out from the bottom hole!

Attachments

• image-3076669367.jpg
    image-3076669367.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 64
If you moved your two heaters to opposite sides of the tank you would get a more even dispersal of heat through it, probably not a big thing for the size of tank, but a little tip anyway. My tanks take hours out of my life, but wouldn't have it any other way - If I'm not watching the fish, I'm cleaning the tanks, or reading stuff on the forums, it really does draw you in.

I did move one heater, but I've never thought of
moving heaters around, but it makes perfect sense, I'll start doing that!

And a question about platy's... Do
Platy's like to have some algae to eat? Again watching my fish, I noticed my red wag trying to eat (the best way I know how to describe it) the heater. Didn't last for long but she was doing that. And I don't think they were hungry, I had fed them around lunch today. Any suggestions?

I'm not exactly sure but in my experience fish like nosing around on the glad and various things in the tank. I don't think you need to worry too much.

Platys don't need alage. They will probably eat it if you have some (they eat everything lol) but it is not a requirement, so it is unnecessary to try to get algae.

Borderlesscott said:
If you moved your two heaters to opposite sides of the tank you would get a more even dispersal of heat through it, probably not a big thing for the size of tank, but a little tip anyway. My tanks take hours out of my life, but wouldn't have it any other way - If I'm not watching the fish, I'm cleaning the tanks, or reading stuff on the forums, it really does draw you in.

I just did another PWC and took your advice and moved the heaters to opposite sides of the tank. I've also been temp matching my water when I do my PWC's. Fish seem to still be doing great, still active and exploring all the time!

Mrs.h2012 said:
I just did another PWC and took your advice and moved the heaters to opposite sides of the tank. I've also been temp matching my water when I do my PWC's. Fish seem to still be doing great, still active and exploring all the time!

This is my tank after my PWC, I'm waiting for it to run for a little while before I test pH again today.

Attachments

• image-1026602083.jpg
    image-1026602083.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 48
My platies attack the algae tabs I drop in for the snails. Actually, all my fish eat them. Poor snails. They never get any.

Mrs.h2012 said:
This is my tank after my PWC, I'm waiting for it to run for a little while before I test pH again today.

I like it alot! That broken barrel is cool. It's best to wait 24 hours after a pwc to do a pH test. The water needs time to aerate.

I hold off on the pH test then, hopefully by then I'll have my full test kit and I can test for everything!

Mrs.h2012 said:
I hold off on the pH test then, hopefully by then I'll have my full test kit and I can test for everything!

I found out the hard way. My tap water was coming out of the faucet at a pH of 7.4 and I could not figure out why my tank pH was 8.3 or more. It's why all my fish were dying. I finally learned through people on here that it takes 24 hours for the water to aerate and then test for pH.

Back
Top Bottom