Removing Carbon Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Betta fish in a 10 gallon filtered, cycled and heated tank. The water in his tank is tap water (Ph 7.4) treated with Prime. I am thinking of adding Indian Almond Leaves to his tank as I think he may be an older fish and I struggle to keep him and his fins healthy (he's a Petco Betta). I'm hoping the IAL will help strengthen his fins and overall health. I have heard that I need to remove the carbon from my filter as it will remove the tannins of the IAL and negate the whole reason for putting them in. I have a Tetra filter that came with my 10 gallon kit. It has a carbon "Bio Bag" and a sponge type piece for the biological filter to live on. If I remove the carbon "Bio Bag" is that ok for my fish or is that carbon filtration protecting him from harmful things? I realize that my biological filter will be ok, but am new to fish keeping and am not sure what exactly the carbon is supposed to do for the tank. I have more filter sponge material. Should I put that in place of the Bio Bag to catch things? With just one fish, 2 Anubias, and 1 Java Fern I don't think I have alot of debris. Thank you!

How long has the carbon part of the filter been running on the tank? After a few weeks (can't recall atm, maybe 2 - how many but it can't be more than 4) the carbon loses its usefulness an basically becomes an inert substance. So no worries about it messing with things after a few weeks.

Generally the filter pad we do not throw away, just rinse in pwc tank or dechlorinated water or we kill the BB with chlorine in the tap water.

Using new carbon specifically is for removing contamination, meds, tinted water. Planted tanks don't really need it.

Last edited:
This is very reassuring. Thank you. The carbon filter has been running in the tank for about 2.5 months. However, I did just put a new bio bag carbon cartridge in earlier this month. So, it's only a week or 2 old. I tested my water parameters after changing out the bio bag just to make sure my BB was, in fact, on the sponge material and didn't go out with the bio bag. Everything stayed ok. I removed the bio bag and added my leaves this morning. I just put some filter sponge in the bio bag spot and will rinse it occasionally per your instructions!

Back
Top Bottom